The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Bellcrank Rebuild  (Read 491 times)

Offline Stingray

Bellcrank Rebuild
« on: October 30, 2020, 10:08:55 PM »
Just finished installing a 1 7/8 CJ2A bellcrank rebuild kit. New shaft,bearings, sleeve, and seals. Greased it, tightened it up and it turns smoothly. Only thing is it has about a 1/16 to 1/8 inch vertical play, just so slightly when you lift up on the bellcrank. Is this normal? Thanks

Offline ojgrsoi

Re: Bellcrank Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 09:07:16 AM »
I am getting ready to do the same thing.  Anyone know the answer?
Mark
51 M38
73 IH Cub 154 Lo Boy

70 USA DJ5 LHD - SOLD, 78 USN DJ5F LHD-SOLD, 67 CJ6-SOLD, 65 CJ5A-SOLD :(, 51 M100-SOLD, 71 CJ5-SOLD, 79 DJ5G-SOLD

Offline 1955CJ-5

• Flatfender Master
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 11:32:32 PM »
Well, I went out and checked the early CJ-5. Bellcrank has been replaced along with the shaft/bearings etc.....It is installed so is hooked up to the drag link and tie rods, but I can't move it in any direction.

I think there was an issue with this on the 3A though. I used a combination of the old parts and the new till I got a good fit.

Did your kit have bushings or needle bearings? We went through this back when...I'll look for the thread...
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline Stingray

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 09:57:16 PM »
Disassembled the bellcrank and started over. The replacement bearings have needles with spaces between them and the original I removed didnt have the spaces but more needles. Not too happy about most of the reproduction parts out there so I used my original bolt and searched and found the original bearings and sleeve and rebuilt it using the combination of old and new parts like you did. Now all is good. Pays to search out original parts either nos or used.

Offline 1955CJ-5

• Flatfender Master
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2020, 10:57:52 PM »
Glad it worked out for you.

I remember going round and round with this, eventually using a combination of new and old....

I never throw old parts away, sometimes I can't find them, but that's another story...:)

If you rebuild the steering box keep the old sector arm... if the worm gear contact points are worn you can loosen the points, turn them 90, weld in place and reuse the old shaft, if the shaft itself not too worn...

Repro parts seem to be about the same marginal level of quality no matter the vehicle type.....some good, some not so good.
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline ojgrsoi

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2020, 11:06:07 AM »

I ran into the same thing (aftermarket parts that don't fit) when rebuilding my steering box.  I ended up finding a NOS steering sector shaft which was the same at the original worn one.  IDK what the old sector fits, maybe CJ2A or 3A?  It is the correct diameter but a little short. 

If someone would like it you can have it for free.  I just need $5 for shipping.  Here is a photo.  The new one ON THE LEFT is a bit too short for my M38.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 09:10:48 PM by ojgrsoi »
Mark
51 M38
73 IH Cub 154 Lo Boy

70 USA DJ5 LHD - SOLD, 78 USN DJ5F LHD-SOLD, 67 CJ6-SOLD, 65 CJ5A-SOLD :(, 51 M100-SOLD, 71 CJ5-SOLD, 79 DJ5G-SOLD

Offline Bruce_W

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2020, 09:08:15 PM »
 I'm sorry, you have me a bit confused _ which is "new", which is "old"? The one on the left in the picture is obviously newer than the one on the right, so should be the "new" one. Which one do you want to get rid of? If it's the one on the left, I'll take it. Just tell me where to send the $5.
BW
Until We Jeep Again...........

Offline ojgrsoi

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2020, 09:11:39 PM »
I'm sorry, you have me a bit confused _ which is "new", which is "old"? The one on the left in the picture is obviously newer than the one on the right, so should be the "new" one. Which one do you want to get rid of? If it's the one on the left, I'll take it. Just tell me where to send the $5.
BW
.PM SENT.   :)
Mark
51 M38
73 IH Cub 154 Lo Boy

Offline Bruce_W

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2020, 10:12:05 PM »
BW
.PM SENT.   :)

$5 sent. BW
Until We Jeep Again...........

Offline tow hook

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2020, 02:20:28 PM »
Just finished installing a 1 7/8 CJ2A bellcrank rebuild kit. New shaft,bearings, sleeve, and seals. Greased it, tightened it up and it turns smoothly. Only thing is it has about a 1/16 to 1/8 inch vertical play, just so slightly when you lift up on the bellcrank. Is this normal? Thanks

mine did the same, i hope that tite steer helps, ( it keeps spring loaded tension on that bell crank)  let you know when i get it in the spring