The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: magnetic connecting rods  (Read 92 times)

Offline mike73

magnetic connecting rods
« on: October 22, 2020, 06:08:21 PM »
just finishing dismantling my engine and when i was putting the pistons and connecting rod away i have noticed putting back the caps that there was a magnet effect between the two parts (caps and connecting rod) is this common and how can i demagnetize these parts.

Offline Rus Curtis

Re: magnetic connecting rods
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 03:30:49 PM »
just finishing dismantling my engine and when i was putting the pistons and connecting rod away i have noticed putting back the caps that there was a magnet effect between the two parts ¨(caps and connecting rod) is this common and how can i demagnetize these parts.

Mike,
That's a new one on me.  I'm surprised no other responses yet, but expect your post not showing has kept some from reading (which is why I cut/pasted to post in quote).  Have you tested the rods and then the caps separately to see which has the "attraction"?  I suspect you could use any bolt or washer handy to cross-check. 

I do know it's possible to add magnetism to any ferrous metal but in an engine, I'm not sure why.  The exception I'm aware of is using a magnetic drain plug to capture metallic bits so that removing them are easier.
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline mike73

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2020, 03:56:48 PM »
i,ve just check with a small steel washer and a small steel nail, and it is still magnetic, but i feel it is not a strong as the first time but not sure, wondering if because i have been turning the engine by hand to get to some parts for dismantling i didn,t put a static charge to it, the engine is on a stand , no oil , no ground , no electric device connected to it , probably just static electricity that magnetize the rods, i remember operating a big sandblast and the ground got cut because of wear and you should of seen the static arc that came out of the nozzle to the steel piece i was sandblasting, amazing what static can do

Offline Rus Curtis

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2020, 05:24:59 PM »
Weird.

I've never experienced that when pulling parts off my engine. 

I'm guessing it will dissipate over time.
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C