The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Fixing a broken mount near transfer case  (Read 126 times)

Offline dluyk

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Now what do I do?
    • View Profile
Fixing a broken mount near transfer case
« on: June 27, 2020, 07:10:01 PM »
Hi guys, just took off the body off of the frame of my 53 CJ3A and discovered this cracked transfer case/front output/gear shift housing.

What are the options on fixing this? Replacing the transfer case or replacing the cover? I'm guessing welding may not be a good idea.
Sorry about the photo size.

Thanks!

« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 09:47:45 PM by dluyk »

Offline Rus Curtis

Re: Fixing a broken mount near transfer case
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 09:32:58 PM »
I would think if you could find a welder that would try it, you'd want to take everything out of the case before letting him try.

It may be a good idea to see if Harry Sheets has an empty case or complete box for cheap (where you could use your gears):

http://www.midwestwillys.com/

I wonder what could have caused that failure.  Is your transmission mount bad?  Could the crossmember be bent?
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline dluyk

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Now what do I do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 10:08:30 PM »
After a closer look, it looks like the skid plate took a hit just about where the skid plate and cross member
intersect. It doesn't appear the cross member is bent. I will reach out to Harry and see what he has. Thanks for
the lead. Hate to have it welding only to have to replace it after the box is back on.

Offline Rus Curtis

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 10:50:03 PM »
Exactly.

Also, you may want to post in the Classified (Buy, Sell, Trade) section - just in case one of these "parts collectors" has a spare....
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline oldtime

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 11:35:47 PM »
Someone who really knows what they are doing could weld that up. (55% nickel rod)
In fact it could even be welded without disassembly.
That said, I suggest you find another “ front bearing cap”

Offline Rus Curtis

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2020, 10:22:56 AM »
Quote from: oldtime
Someone who really knows what they are doing could weld that up. (55% nickel rod)

What he said.  FWIW, I had to log out to see OT's post and copied so others won't need to log out.

'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline dluyk

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Now what do I do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2020, 06:41:31 PM »
Old Time, thanks for your post, (keep in mind I not a mechanic) what do you mean
replace the front bearing cap? I'm easily confused and spent some time looking at
photo's of front bearing caps and wonder why possibly replacing it. So instead of
looking at photo's - then looking at mine and scratching my head in wonder.....I thought I'd ask
someone with more knowledge.

Offline oldtime

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2020, 07:08:41 PM »
No problem dyulk.
The front part of the transfer case that holds the shift levers, etc. is called “the front bearing cap” assembly.
When searching for that part you should refer to it as a “Twin stick Dana 18 front bearing cap casting.”
You probably won’t find it by using it’s part number which is A-956.
I suggest you post a WTB ad on one or more of the CJ forums.
It may prove very difficult for you to install the part if you have little to no experience.
Looking at your pic and noting it’s overall condition I must say that ....a full transfer case rebuilt is most probably in order.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 07:12:07 PM by oldtime »

Offline duffer

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2020, 09:11:22 PM »

Yes the ear can be welded back together.  And yes, no disassembly needed.  What Ken said about the nickel rod and it would be best to preheat it a little.  I'm not sure how the cost of that would compare to replacing it with someone else doing the work but it would certainly be MUCH faster.  I think there is still a D18 front cap in my bone pile with that same welded repair.
48 2A, 49 3A, 51 Wagon, 55 3B, 57 FC 150, 57 Wagon, 60 FC 170, 68 CJ 5, 2012 JKUR

John, Bozeman, MT