The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Indicator Problem  (Read 267 times)

Offline PercyUK

Indicator Problem
« on: June 26, 2020, 05:55:10 AM »

Hello Friends, I hope you are all keeping well and using the lockdown to get your projects completed.

I have a great one for you……

I have fitted an indicator stalk to my CJ3A, it is a chrome plated item similar, if not the same, as sold on the Kaiser/ Willys site. It is quite common and I suspect made by lots of firms.

It has normal bulbs (NOT LED’S). I have two new indicators at the rear separate from the brake and tail light and converted the parking lights at the front to indicators by putting coloured bulbs in them. The parking light itself is now in the headlamp.

The engine has an electronic distributer so no contacts.

Now the fun bit.
When the engine is off all works as it should including the hazard function. When I turn the engine on the lights (whichever is on left or right) flicker at a much greater speed and less bright than they should. I also think that the speed of the flickering goes up as the engine revs up go up. !!

As I believe that this was a period addition to many an old Jeep can anyone tell me what the problem is and how to cure it.
I think that it is receiving interference from the engine …any ideas !!
Percy

Offline Rus Curtis

Re: Indicator Problem
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 09:34:12 AM »
Hello Friends, I hope you are all keeping well and using the lockdown to get your projects completed.

I have a great one for you……

I have fitted an indicator stalk to my CJ3A, it is a chrome plated item similar, if not the same, as sold on the Kaiser/ Willys site. It is quite common and I suspect made by lots of firms.

It has normal bulbs (NOT LED’S). I have two new indicators at the rear separate from the brake and tail light and converted the parking lights at the front to indicators by putting coloured bulbs in them. The parking light itself is now in the headlamp.

The engine has an electronic distributer so no contacts.

Now the fun bit.
When the engine is off all works as it should including the hazard function. When I turn the engine on the lights (whichever is on left or right) flicker at a much greater speed and less bright than they should. I also think that the speed of the flickering goes up as the engine revs up go up. !!

As I believe that this was a period addition to many an old Jeep can anyone tell me what the problem is and how to cure it.
I think that it is receiving interference from the engine …any ideas !!
Percy

Percy,
I had to log out to read this as a "Guest" as I'm still affected by some posts not showing...

Anyhow, it took me until near the bottom before I connected "indicator stalk" with "turn signal"   My coffee hasn't kicked in yet!  What model indicator stalk do you have?

Even though you get them to work (which would indicate you have a ground) have you measured volts at all of the indicators (bulbs) to see if there's a drop?  Both the main unit (on your steering column - I believe it has a light too) and the lights need grounding. 

I would check voltage both engine off and then running.  The bulbs could be of a different type than needed, the flasher could be a different one than needed.  Are you 6V or 12V?  Have you checked your bulbs/flasher to ensure correct part numbers?  Do you have a second flasher unit?  Maybe the one you're using is faulty.

You've added turn signal lights on the back.  I wonder if that changes the flasher's resistance?  Can you see if there's any flicker in the other lights while the turn signal is flashing?  Have you tried pulling one bulb at a time while flashing, to see if there are changes? 

My turn signals weren't working properly (no clear failure pattern) and I had to go through each circuit and it turned out some of the bulbs were not getting a good ground - but they were still working. 

What I don't fully follow is your statement, "The parking light itself is now in the headlamp."  Can you add a bit more detail?
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline SteveKfl

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 09:55:34 AM »
My best guess from here is "poor grounds".  The revs of the engine increase generator output "trying to jump the bad ground", and/or "back feeding" to the other ground desperately seeking a ground to operate.  Parking lights can be fed from light switch separately, at least on mine, and disconnecting those may give some isolation from the turn signal circuits if "not separated"... plus all that Rus said.  Try to measure each socket for "ground continuity" as a test.  Good Luck!
My Concept Roadster
62 DJ3A Dispatcher Half Top

Offline PercyUK

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 10:17:57 AM »
Hi guys, thanks for the quick reply.

The flasher unit itself came with the Indicator so I am happy that it is the correct one for the application. I got it from a car builders site in the UK but looks the same as the ones I see advertised on many a Jeep spares outlets online.
I will definitely check what you have suggested however as I have just rebuilt the car, due to a bent chassis, I have been proactive about running grounds so hopefully they are OK.

I run 12v,and  as it happens, the alternator is not working at the moment so I took the opportunity to remove it altogether to see if it was the cause of the problem....it isn't.

My front parking or side lights are now in the headlights. In the UK I had to replace the headlight so it shone to the correct side of the road, it was easy to replace the originals with an item that looks identical but has a side light built into it.
So now the side or parking lights are in the headlight and I wired the originals to act as indicators that way I kept the front of the Jeep looking stock and didn't have to add any new indicators just orange coloured bulbs.

I am wondering whether the ignition is interfering with it ?

Offline PercyUK

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 03:23:42 AM »
Hi everyone,
 problem sorted. I thought  that it may have been caused by interference from the engine despite the electronics being quite simple on the Jeeps.
So I replaced the ignition leads and caps with a set of old ones I had from another car as an experiment and it cured the problem instantly.
It would appear that the old leads were no longer suppressing the  RF enough !!!.
Now once I fix my alternator (fitted prior to my ownership), I am of down the road for a test drive !!.

Thanks

Offline Rus Curtis

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 10:06:42 AM »
Well done!  I wouldn't have thought of that. 
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C