The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Tub Work Quick Tip  (Read 4478 times)

Offline CJPilot

• Flatfender Enthusiast
  • Shade Tree Mechanic
    • View Profile
Tub Work Quick Tip
« on: May 07, 2013, 09:01:13 PM »
I recently pulled my tub to get at my transfer case.� I use an engine hoist to pull the tub. Once the tub was pulled I wanted to use the engine hoist to lift out my transfer case.� So I set the tub on a few metal saw horses in order to free up the engine hoist.� With the tub up on the saw horses I can�t get over how easy it is to work on. I know you guys with a rotisserie have already figured this out. If you need to work on your tub you might want to look into this.� �Please use appropriate safety procedures to ensure you don�t knock it off the saw horses.

Steve

Offline gmcjr

• Flatfender Enthusiast
  • Even a blind hog finds a acorn every now and then.
    • View Profile
Re: Tub Work Quick Tip
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 09:32:50 PM »
I agree, when I planned to pull my tub off about 10 years ago, I constructed a set of saw horses out of 2x6's and put casters on the bottom. I wish they where still in my possession, it was handy
Gary in N. Texas
51 CJ-3A (old Trusty)
52 Ford 8n (ugly duckling)
46Farmall B (old Rusty)
18 Wrangler Jk

Offline 3aJeeper

• Flatfender Enthusiast
  • Luvs me a flatfender Jeep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 05:52:36 PM »
I was thinking about something like this too. I have very limited space, so I was planning on working on the tub on some kind of setup like this over the frame.

I'm months away from getting to the body, but closer than I was a couple of years ago! ;D

Each day is closer and closer.....
1951 CJ3a
F-134 Hurricane engine

Offline F Bill

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 05:45:33 PM »
If you are handy with a saw and a screwgun, homemade sawhorses that are larger than that can be made from 2 x 4 and 2 x 6 lumber that do a fantastic job of tub holding. It doesn't even have to be new lumber if designed to be SOLID. I built a set for my tub work and the local carpentry project robbed them, so I don't know when I will get to actually work on a TUB.

Also a homebuilt roll around cart at an appropriate height will work nicely too. Put a set of cheap casters on it and you have a mobile work table that you can use for all sorts of assembly tasks.

And then.. there are those who have spare frames they mount on rotisseries.... :D
Owner of the world famous?? Pintojeep 3A and one yet to be named stock project 3A.
Based in central TX and upstate NY.

Offline garage gnome

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 05:51:15 PM »
This is what I did. I used my engine stand I built along with another free spinning end.

Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted