The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Supertaxion Tire wear  (Read 1604 times)

Offline Kirkski

• Flatfender Master
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Supertaxion Tire wear
« on: May 29, 2020, 03:07:27 PM »

Anyone else experiencing abnormal wear on you Supertraxion Tires?

All my tires are at 30 PSI, the front tires are extremely worn in the middle... If they were on the edges I would think alignment, center tire PSI, but since all four are the same I can't see that... Anyway, I have about 5000 miles on these tires, I just rotated them today to help me get more miles out of them.

At this point it looks like I'll get 10,000 miles out of a set of tires

Thanks in advance
 Kirk
'52 CJ-3A

Offline Rus Curtis

• Willys Guru
  • Retired
    • View Profile
Re: Supertaxion Tire wear
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 04:21:12 PM »
Kirk,
My tire knowledge is now a bit dated but I believe these vehicles have a very simplified setup when compared to modern vehicles.  The Caster and Camber are preset and really cannot be adjusted (with some minor exceptions), leaving the toe-in the only real adjustment. 

Typically, as you've stated, wear in the middle (or equally on both edges) suggest pressure.  Toe-in out of specs should show a feathering across the tread.  There should also be some steering issues with that too.

I would have done what you did which is to rotate.  I would however suggest lowering the pressure anyways.  Depending on what source you use, the suggested pressure is less (my assumption here is most likely stock tires - presumably 4 ply NDT's).  Your Traxion tires should have a pressure stamped on the sidewall (I'd also assume the ply count as well) but that pressure IIRC is for a fully loaded tire vs. best ride/running errands or offroading.  Are you running inner tubes?

https://www.cj3apage.com/index/Tech_Tips/operation_and_care_manual/Manual%20Part%207.htm
Quoted from the 2A manual:  6.00 x 16 = 28-30psi and 7.00 x 15 = 20-21psi.

My SM for 2A thru CJ5 (SM-1002-R6, para Q-13) states for 6.00 x 16 4ply,  26psi front and 28psi rear. 

This suggests to me you could lower the pressure some, e.g. 25psi and then observe what the new (rotated) front tires do.  The rear tires that are now worn I would definitely lower (again, maybe 25psi) just to allow more edge wear to even out. 

Not indicated in your post, what tires did you have and how did they wear?  Anything else with the set up different?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 08:04:54 PM by Rus Curtis »
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline Squishymonster

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 04:33:34 PM »
Disclaimer: I don't know what I'm talking about.

Could this be modern small trucks being x2 the weight, and possibly an weight imbalance between front and back?

If so, my guess is that the tires are over pressured for the weight of the CJ since they are relatively light, and that the PSI is based on standard light duty truck weight. It would also seem to indicate that the rear of the vehicle weighs more than the front, but I can't imagine that being the case.

Now that you've rotated them, if you park on flat concrete are you able to see any bulge or dish from the front?

Offline aboyandhisdog

• Flatfender Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 05:24:41 PM »
I too think you have a tire that is rated to carry quite a bit more weight than these little cj's have.  Can you find a load table for these tires?  If not, maybe you can find a load table for a comparable tire and see where that puts you.  I have the Hankook Dynapro radials (215-85-16) on mine and find that even tire wear across the tread is achieved at 20-22psi.  And the ride is good too.  Lower them to about 20psi and see how it goes.
Tom

Offline SteveKfl

• Willys Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 05:48:05 PM »
When I looked at the SM link Rus provided, I noted it doesn't specify front or rear PSI.  I believe the 2 lb extra is usually under the heavier section, the front.  I have noted by doing a tire pattern test, by wetting the tire tread and rolling the vehicle a rotation on a relatively smooth surface like a garage floor or driveway, I can see the pattern left by the wetness.  I'm running 24F 22R cold because as said, the new HP tire is too stiff with high load capacity for the 2K lb vehicle.  Also remember the pressure increases when the tire gets hot during highway driving.  I have found over the years that too much PSI can cause floating sensation as you are only riding on the center of the tire, not the full width and proper sidewall action.  Take a gauge with you and check the hot temp PSI to see what you're "driving" on.  A little experimenting might be required to get your best PSI for your type of tire and driving and setup.  Good Luck!
My Concept Roadster
62 DJ3A Dispatcher Half Top

Offline Orig Equipment

• Will talk Jeeps with anyone
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2020, 07:26:39 PM »
This was a timely tread, I just bought a set of these tires for my 54 CJ3B and I want them to last.  I am a firm believer in tire rotation, does anyone have the rotation pattern for this vintage of CJ, a four tire rotation and a five tire?  I checked my service manual and no patterns there.  It would be good to have the patterns as part of the thread.
Thanks  Orig Equipment

Offline SteveKfl

• Willys Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2020, 10:21:15 PM »
From the SM... To secure maximum tire wear, the wheels should be switched at least twice each year.  The rear wheels should be moved to the opposite front positions and the right front wheel moved straight back to the right rear position.  Place the spare on the left rear and use the left front as a spare.
Keep in mind that SM was written a long time ago for completely different tire types and materials used then.  I'd suggest the tire manufactures recommendations be sought out, especially for "directional tread tires".
My Concept Roadster
62 DJ3A Dispatcher Half Top

Offline Rus Curtis

• Willys Guru
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2020, 10:42:34 PM »
This was a timely tread.....

Good pun!

Just like Steve posted.  I found it in my SM at the end of the Q section for Wheels.
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline Kirkski

• Flatfender Master
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2020, 08:28:58 AM »
Not indicated in your post, what tires did you have and how did they wear?  Anything else with the set up different?

The previous tires were over 30 years old, they were probably not used very long before the Jeep was "retired" from use and left to its own deices. So I really could not get a good read off of them. Pictures of that can be seen in my CJ-3A Thread...

I will try lowering the tire pressure and see where that gets me

Thank You
 Kirk
'52 CJ-3A

Offline Kirkski

• Flatfender Master
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2020, 08:30:44 AM »
Disclaimer: I don't know what I'm talking about.

Now that you've rotated them, if you park on flat concrete are you able to see any bulge or dish from the front?

I surely have no clue what I am talking about either but I give it my best shot  :D

I have not noticed anything like that, I am going to try the lower psi and see where that gets me... more to come
'52 CJ-3A

Offline Orig Equipment

• Will talk Jeeps with anyone
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2020, 04:29:12 PM »
Thanks all, but I am a bit cheap, so I only bought 4 new tires and have an "emergency spare"  based on the above, the four tire rotation would seem to be cross the rears to the front and bring the front straight back.  That's how my Tahoe is.

I suppose if I bought another new tire I would get 20% longer life with a five tire rotation!  Or would it be like with shoes, you buy two pairs of the exact same shoe and wear them every other day and both pairs are supposed to last much longer than if you had only one pair.

Qrig Equipment