The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: shift lever boot ideas?  (Read 249 times)

Offline aboyandhisdog

shift lever boot ideas?
« on: April 21, 2020, 10:29:19 PM »
I have the typical 3A with an overdrive.  I am wondering if any of you have a good solution for a boot that incorporates the dual lever of the TC and the overdrive together?  I find the flimsy dual lever boot with the crappy OD boot together makes for a kind of lame situation.  They are both thin rubber of poor quality, and the way they overlay each other, well, it just seems like there must be a better solution.  Any thoughts on how to improve this?  Thank you!
Tom

Offline SteveKfl

Re: shift lever boot ideas?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 04:20:04 AM »
My Concept Roadster
62 DJ3A Dispatcher Half Top

Offline Rus Curtis

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2020, 11:22:08 AM »
I'd read about options a while back but couldn't remember.  Steve's post shook the cobwebs out and I was able to find some of this info.

There were several threads on the 2A Forum discussing options - one being Herms boot.

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/shift-boot-drawings_topic23205_post201177.html?KW=overdrive+boot#201177
https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/leather-boots_topic21762_post187041.html?KW=overdrive+boot#187041
https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/quality-shifter-boots_topic11461_page1.html?KW=overdrive+boot

There  were more, but it appears there are options to include vendors on ebay. 
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline athawk11

• SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 12:44:10 PM »
I bought an old leather skirt off ebay for $10.00.  Cut it to size after making some basic patterns.  Sewed the cones together then surrounded them with a mounting base made out of the same leather...

I've recently seen some guys using a cut up leather work glove.  The results actually look pretty good. 8)

2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline aboyandhisdog

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 11:03:59 AM »
Thanks for the ideas, guys.  You did a sweet job on those boots, Hawky, but I will not be making my own!  Too bad we can't just buy the three-lever boots somewhere.  I'll keep looking.  The one Herm shows is nice but I don't see that he actually sells it.  I wonder where it came from?
Tom

Offline SteveKfl

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 01:23:03 PM »
Maybe you did too, I did a search just for "3 lever boots", and that one on Herm's was the only one.  You may want to call him, as I have found that when I called or emailed him, he has a lot more available than what is shown on his website.  Also, that looks like a custom made retainer ring in that picture, so I'm "guessing" they combined two boots under the customer made retainer, easier than sewing for me, but that glove idea sounds interesting.  Gloves are popular these days.  Good Luck! and keep us posted.  Thanks.
My Concept Roadster
62 DJ3A Dispatcher Half Top

Offline Rus Curtis

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2020, 03:40:13 PM »
The glove ingenuity had me laughing; where there's a will there's a way!
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C