The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Radioactive Gauges?  (Read 937 times)

Offline Vincent

Radioactive Gauges?
« on: March 21, 2020, 08:30:11 AM »
Moving on to my original gauges, I have seen on the G503 site that the military jeeps have Radium in the white paint to make them glow.  Is this also true of civilian jeeps, specifically my '53 CJ3A? Should I bother to even try to clean them up or take them apart? Has anyone else taken them apart?
Vincent S.
vschleg@yahoo.com

Offline Rus Curtis

Re: Radioactive Gauges?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 09:08:22 AM »
I don't believe they have "glow-in-the-dark" paint on them.  Have you tested them?  Having a working Instrument Panel Light above the gauges, would kind of defeat the need for glow paint.  There are also some replacement gauges that have their own light ring built into the gauge.

As far as tearing into the gauges, there are talented folks who have rebuilt theirs.  I am not one.  I sent mine in to have them restored.
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline Bob W

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 06:19:01 PM »
CJs don't have the glowing paint. On the military gauges with the special paint you can see where it is due to a yellowed white appearance. The gauges can be disassembled but it not easy to remove and reinstall the ring.
Bob W

Offline 1955CJ-5

• Flatfender Master
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2020, 08:48:39 PM »
I was able to take my temp gauge apart. It was pegged on Hot so it was toast anyway if i had failed.

But, it came apart, I was able to adjust it and it is still working.

It takes a small screwdriver and a lot of patience to get to get the ring off..

1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline MikeP

• Willys Fan
  • if it dont work hit it with a hammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 12:29:36 AM »
ive been tempted to open my gauges that way some cj some military but i to read about the radium and just wasnt to sure how bad it would be if i did inhale any and so i havnt done it yet
1950 willys cj3a