The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Oil Behind Timing Cover  (Read 894 times)

Offline KenW

• Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Oil Behind Timing Cover
« on: March 04, 2020, 08:30:08 PM »
Hi Guys,

I have a 1950 CJ3a with the L134 engine.  After a full year of working on it I just got everything working but I was wondering how do I know if there is proper oil flow behind the timing cover. It is the Geared timing and everything is running good.  Starts good and idles good. I have about 38-40 PSI oil pressure when idling.  I have only drove it a few miles so far and there is no indication anything is wrong I was just wondering if there was a way to know that there is oil flow going across the timing gears...

I was hoping there is a way of knowing to make me feel warm and fuzzie about it...

Thanks

KenW

End of Line

Offline aboyandhisdog

• Flatfender Master
    • View Profile
Re: Oil Behind Timing Cover
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 09:23:14 PM »
Is your oil filter getting hot?  I guess you could disconnect the oil hose and see if it is pumping oil out that would be going to the timing cover, but that just seems like a messy waste of time to me.  But I think if the filter is getting hot that would indicate that oil is flowing through it from the engine.  Is there some reason that you feel oil might not be getting into the timing cover?  I never heard of this being an issue, but then I'm not half the mechanic that some of these guys are. 
Tom

Offline Bruce_W

• Willys Fan
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 10:43:59 PM »
  Never heard of this concern before. A little paranoia here? How do you know that oil is getting to the #3 rod bearing (or pick a number from 1 to 4)?  When everything is put together correctly, it all works. If the oil nozzle is installed at the front of the block and pointed the right way, and if the #1 main bearing is getting oil (again, how do you know?), the timing gears are getting oiled. You just have to trust that it is put together right, and there's no reason for it not to work. If it will help you sleep better, I suppose you could drop the oil pan and see if oil drips out of the front of the engine.
  Return oil from the filter may contribute to the oiling of the timing gears, but it is not the primary source of lube oil for them, the nozzle in the front of the main oil gallery is. The source of oil to the filter is, however, very nearly the same place as the source of oil to the nozzle. If the nozzle is present, the passage to it is not blocked, and there is oil pressure present, the gears are getting oil. If the nozzle is not getting oil, the front main bearing and the cam bearing are probably not getting any either, and if that's the case, you will know it before long, or should maybe even know by now.   BW
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 10:47:45 PM by Bruce_W »
Until We Jeep Again...........

Offline SteveKfl

• Willys Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2020, 07:38:19 AM »
IMO, first of all, I would think you would "hear the dry system" if no oil, and if you want "peace of mind", disconnect the oil line to the cover, put it in a jar with a rag to seal the opening from splash, turn the engine over 'with coil disconnected to not start', and 'see' if oil comes out.  From some of the "poor work" I have encountered from the PO on mine, there is always room for doubt of 'what was installed correctly', and/or 'if even checked'.  IE, like something basic, I found my 'front wheel bearing races' were not even set 'flush' all the way down flat to the stops.  The primary/secondary brake shoes were installed reversed as well.  One never knows what you may find.  Safety first!   
My Concept Roadster
62 DJ3A Dispatcher Half Top

Offline KenW

• Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2020, 07:40:46 AM »
Thanks guys,

I guess it is just paranoia, I have no reason to think that it isn't getting oil. But when I was rebuilding it that little nozzle it just seemed so small to oil the timing gears.
After all the work that has been in this project I guess I am just overthinking everything. Thanks for the testing tips and sound advise....

Thanks

KenW
End of Line

Offline athawk11

• SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2020, 09:06:29 AM »
I understand your paranoia.  I'm the same way early on.

Willys actually reduced the hole size in the oiler nozzle in later L-134 engines to improve oil distribution to the rest of the engine.
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A