The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: new clutch kit installed, needs adjusted maybe more ?  (Read 361 times)

Offline tow hook

new clutch kit installed, needs adjusted maybe more ?
« on: February 14, 2020, 02:32:17 PM »
i've done a restore on my 3b, new clutch, clutch parts etc. the throw out bearing    https://www.kaiserwillys.com/clutch-release-bearing-carrier-fits-41-71-jeep-willys-with-4-134-6-161-engines  is one inch from the clutch fingers. ( the pedal is in the full up poss )  the adj yoke   https://www.kaiserwillys.com/new-adjusting-yoke-fits-41-71-mb-MB is better-cj-2a-3a-3b-5-m38-m38a1  has the threads not showing threw the yoke. when i depress the pedal the throw out bearing goes fwd about 1/2 "

i adjusted the threads threw yoke, to the point were the threads hit the tab of the bell crank. pedal was down quite a bit ( from normal ), and the throw out bearing wasn't touching the fingers yet, close but not touching. pedal travel wasn't much :(  thoughts ??

i was at a guys house buying flatty parts( last month ), when i saw an old f head in the garage, it's pressure plate was very thick ( thicker then mine ) and he said it was a diaphragm clutch. didn't save my old one :(  seems to be they sell one clutch for mine https://www.kaiserwillys.com/nsearch/?q=clutch%20kit#/?keywords=clutch%20kit&search_return=all&Vehicletype=3846

so any thoughts ??

Offline SteveKfl

Re: new clutch kit installed, needs adjusted maybe more ?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 05:59:12 PM »
Food for thought, I was surprised to find that an OD T96R10 tranny from a Jeepster had a 1" longer clutch fork in the bellhousing than my original T96 set up. That is only said to show there are "different length" clutch forks.  The end of the longer one was closed, while the shorter was gapped as in the KW link picture.  The 'longer distance' was on the outside of the pivot requiring more 'pedal movement' to move the bearing assembly.  I used the shorter one.  I believe there are different length cable assemblies as well, so you may want to set your pedal position and work from the bell crank location to the fork in "ready" position to determine length needed for comparisons.  Just a suggestion.  Good Luck!
My Concept Roadster
62 DJ3A Dispatcher Half Top

Offline Bruce_W

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 11:05:03 AM »
  Could it be that you have the fork positioned on the back side of the bearing, rather than behind the ears of the carrier, where it belongs?  BW
Until We Jeep Again...........

Offline SteveKfl

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2020, 05:17:00 PM »
Here's a pic of what BW is saying, outside the bellhousing easier to see.
My Concept Roadster
62 DJ3A Dispatcher Half Top

Offline Bruce_W

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2020, 08:24:21 PM »
   ;D Thanks, Steve!
  Just in case anyone needs to ask, Steve's picture shows the correct position for the fork.  BW
Until We Jeep Again...........

Offline tow hook

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2020, 02:10:16 PM »
Food for thought, I was surprised to find that an OD T96R10 tranny from a Jeepster had a 1" longer clutch fork in the bellhousing than my original T96 set up. That is only said to show there are "different length" clutch forks.  The end of the longer one was closed, while the shorter was gapped as in the KW link picture.  The 'longer distance' was on the outside of the pivot requiring more 'pedal movement' to move the bearing assembly.  I used the shorter one.  I believe there are different length cable assemblies as well, so you may want to set your pedal position and work from the bell crank location to the fork in "ready" position to determine length needed for comparisons.  Just a suggestion.  Good Luck!

i'm pretty sure that i checked / put all the old vs new parts along side of each other be fore i hee hoed them. i know the return cable was the same lenght.

Offline tow hook

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 02:13:11 PM »
Here's a pic of what BW is saying, outside the bellhousing easier to see.

i'd like to say that it is, but i can't see it to be fair. i'd need some one to depress the pedal well i peek in the inspection cover. it seems to feel that its the way in the pic. to many sticks in the way when i try an do it my self. lol

Offline tow hook

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2020, 02:17:03 PM »
i re watched some videos today on u tube, i have the bell crank in the correct placement.  i did buy a auto zone clutch, it was much cheaper then the kaiser willy set up. that could be the problem to?  i'm goin to have to pull the trans after i get it running. i'm so close to being done on a few things,and i can't just get them rite :( hope this pic may help
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 02:30:49 PM by tow hook »