The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: seat conundrum  (Read 271 times)

Offline Squishymonster

seat conundrum
« on: November 25, 2019, 02:13:54 PM »
I'm really at a loss as to what to do about seats. My CJ3a didn't come with usable seats - I have salvageable half frames with rotted cloth seats welded to them.

First, i'm 5 foot 11 inches tall, 200lbs.

After lots of googling, I saw several people who recommend suspension seats, so I ordered a pair that I've seen used by folks, but they really don't fit well and I'm not willing to drive around with a bad pedal angle and scrunched knees. Then after that discovery I searched back for the same images and I see that in several cases smaller tilt steering is installed, which still doesn't help the pedal angle issue. Also "swinging" in and out of the suspension seats with the angled side "hip hugger" is a PITA with the large steering wheel.

I think what I'd really prefer is to have a pair of original frames and cushions to just use for a while, and then swap out after I know what stock feels like - so I know for sure what i'm gaining or losing with aftermarket. Unfortunately it feels like any seat option is going to be painful - order, test fit, possibly return, and pay all of that shipping. Repeat until something fits well.

I've seen folks recommend smittybilt CJ5 low backs. I even have my doubts about how well those fit. I like the way they look, but I'm worried about the lack of head rest and whiplash protection. The contour on the bottom rear of the Smittybilt low back buckets looks like it would fit the wheel well contour much better than my suspension seats, but it still an expensive guessing game.

I'm not sure I want to jump straight to butchering the rear wheel wells without knowing what the stock seats feel like, but holy crap they are expensive. I mean, if NO seat is going to be comfortable enough without cutting, I'll cut. But if stock or very specific aftermarket are actually comfortable, I won't cut.

I almost want to get a tube bender and bend up some cheap replacement seat frames, but knowing what angles / radius to hit would probably be almost impossible.

After scouring the internet after my first failure, I'm realizing that there isn't a great option that doesn't involve wheel well modification, or just using stock.

Offline MikeP

• Willys Fan
  • if it dont work hit it with a hammer
    • View Profile
Re: seat conundrum
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 09:54:29 PM »
id be more than willing to sell my cj3a driver and passenger seat if i could first get a driver and passenger seat for an m38 in darn good condition and im 6 foot 2 inches (almost 3) 315 ish lbs depending on season lol
1950 willys cj3a

Offline aboyandhisdog

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 02:18:38 PM »
You might be over thinking this a bit.  I have seen a lot of guys bigger that you do just fine with the 3A seat frames and standard seats.  If you are in doubt, you could go with the 3A frames and then order (or have made) cushions that are thinner than the standard thickness.  I got the standard foam/canvas cover seats made from Beechwood Canvas.  The seat seems to be 3 1/2" thick and the backs 3" thick.  Maybe they could make them thinner for you if you really need them thinner.  Just a thought.
Tom

Offline Rus Curtis

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 05:19:24 PM »
...Maybe they could make them thinner for you if you really need them thinner....

They absolutely can!  I ordered original from them and during our conversation about my order (I was wanting assurance they wouldn't be too thin) they were asking if I wanted thinner (I learned they had many customers that requested thinner for more clearance).

The OP states his frames aren't complete. 

I do feel if you're able to get good frames, you'll like the standard padding. BTW, I'm 6'0", 215.
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline Mark W.

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 12:20:57 AM »
I have 2" foam pads on the backs and 3" bottoms. I'm 5' 11" and 260lbs I do have a 15" wheel using a Ididit column that is very much like the original but with a Grant steering wheel hub at the top.
Chug A Lug

1948 CJ2A Tub and Title
1949 CJ3A Windshield
1957 CJ5� �Frame and Springs
134L T90 9.25" D18 D25 and D44 30 spline
11" Brakes, Saginaw Steering, 12V electrical
currently in a zillion pi