The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Steering Wheel  (Read 301 times)

Offline Chuck Watford

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Steering Wheel
« on: January 10, 2020, 07:32:04 PM »
Does anybody make a correct steering wheel for the late CJ3B with the 2-1/4" horn button? I bought a Crown reproduction, but it does not have the snap ring groove for the horn button.

Offline Rus Curtis

Re: Steering Wheel
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 01:52:59 PM »
Chuck,
Unfortunately, I don't have a steering wheel with the large horn button so I don't even know exactly what it looks like.  I see some vendors (Walck's, KW) offer a steering wheel for that larger horn button but would suspect they should be able to answer specific questions about that snap ring.

HTH
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline Chuck Watford

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 06:48:30 PM »
So far, every vendor that I have found have this note with the wheel: Note: This is the better steering wheel on the market but the snap ring groove is not cut in for the horn button and must be cut in.
So, now I have to figure how to do it. My lathe does not have enough swing, and my milling machine does not have enough reach.......I need to find somebody close by with a big 30" Monarch lathe! Keith Rucker, where are you?

Offline aboyandhisdog

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 08:42:43 PM »
Chuck, I bought the Crown wheel several years ago and came up against the same "warnings" that there is no groove.  I rolled the dice and bought one anyway.  While true that there is no groove, it doesn't affect the horn at all.  The rubber horn button cover fits just fine inside the wheel and it is a nice snug fit.  There is no need for the groove and it has been a few years and never an issue with it shifting out of position.

On a related note, I just love the new wheel.  My old one would turn my hands black after a day on the trails, and the new one is just perfect and good quality.
Tom

Offline Bruce_W

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 02:17:40 PM »
Keith Rucker, where are you?

I'd bet that Keith Rucker, or Keith Fenner, or Abom, if unable to do the job on the machinery at hand, would use their machines to make a tool to do the job.  :) ;)   BW
Until We Jeep Again...........

Offline binthere

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 03:42:05 PM »
As far as I know, when they changed the steering wheel to the big horn button, they used  the same steering wheel to about  1971 when Kaiser was taken over by AMC. I think if you look at any supplier you will probably find the CJ5 wheel and order it with the horn button and ring.

Offline Chuck Watford

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 12:21:14 PM »
You are correct, the same 2-1/4" button steering wheel is listed for 1963 - 1975 CJ3B, CJ5, CJ6 and FC models, but it is the same reproduction Crown wheel without the snap ring groove.  I bought one several years ago when I first got this jeep, and, although the horn button would fit, I was not happy with the gap between the button and the wheel. While I was removing the steering wheel prior to removing the body tub, I damaged the bottom of the wheel and will need to replace it again. I was hoping to find one with the groove this time. Thanks all!