The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Up and Running  (Read 142 times)

Offline PercyUK

Up and Running
« on: November 07, 2020, 05:49:00 AM »
Hi everyone,
I just  thought that I would drop you a few photos of my 1953 CJ3A which is now finally on the road.
It was stripped down completely so that I could repair and straighten the frame and as it was reassembled anything that was broken was replaced or fixed and if not it was left for another day.
I have tried to retain the "Patina" however some of that "Patina" had to be cut out and replaced !!! including much of the floor.

The engine has good oil pressure but is definitely worn and will need rebuilding in due course however I want to get some miles on it before I do so as it will be costly, and frankly, I just want to drive my Jeep for a while.

The doors, which were cut to accommodate a hardtop during its previous life will probably be next on my list to reinstate, as best as I can, as my wife is likely to fall out without something there.....I'm ok as I have the steering wheel to hang on to so I'm good !!

Finally my speedo does not work properly. In the UK sourcing CJ parts is difficult however wartime jeep stuff is easy. Can anyone tell me if a speedo from an earlier wartime one will drop straight in without any drama, I think it will because they all appear to share the same cable, however I thought I would ask the experts.
I hope you approve of my efforts so far.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 05:50:41 AM by PercyUK »

Online 1955CJ-5

• Flatfender Master
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: Up and Running
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2020, 09:55:47 AM »
It looks just great! And what a perfect setting. Lots of country lanes to enjoy I hope.....Is that Vera Lynn I hear in the background?

Old aircraft quick release style seatbelts will help keep everyone on board...

Randy
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 10:14:43 AM by 1955CJ-5 »
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline 64CJ5

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2020, 11:24:34 AM »
Running and stopping equals fun.  Good looking Jeep.   
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 11:26:18 AM by 64CJ5 »
The sun never sets on the mighty Jeep.

Offline PercyUK

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 03:40:36 AM »
Thanks for the positive comments.....believe it or not but Vera Lynn lived only 15 miles from me on the south coast.

Offline oldtime

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 09:09:02 AM »
Nice original patina.
Yes most any 1942-1957 Jeep speedometer will fit and function.
However there may be slightly different speeds noted on various vintages.