The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Viasa CJ-3B (Project Lazarus)  (Read 108 times)

Offline Davros

Viasa CJ-3B (Project Lazarus)
« on: December 01, 2019, 10:54:55 AM »
While I was in the Navy and stationed in Italy, I was able to buy a Spanish made 3B from a fellow Sailor. The rules about buying local vehicles were pretty strict, and you could only own 3 vehicles total. Once a vehicle was bought from a local national it could never be resold back to one, only other service members or it had to be scrapped. The guy gave it to me to keep it from being scrapped as he was not able to get it in good enough shape to have it brought back to the states (road legal)

I spent 6 months getting it road worthy while in Italy, and due to a car accident it became my daily driver for nearly a year. Needless to say I was attached to it, and used my only slot to "Space A" the 3B back to the states.

The trip back to the states was rough on it, as it must have sat on the weather deck of the Navy transport during its return, Barely drive-able, I got it home. At that time I retired from the Navy, and it took a backseat while I transitioned into civilian life. That was back in 2012.

So here I am, a decade after I got it, and 7 years since it last moved under its own power and I am in the middle of restoring it.

The details.
It's a Spanish build Universal Jeep, built by Viasa in 1976 on the CJ-3B platform.
As its a 76, there was no Willys anymore so the hood is stamped JEEP, and the gauges (in Spanish) are also labeled JEEP.
The engine is a Perkins 4.108 Diesel, and the the transmission is a T-90 (built by Spanish company UGO)
The axles are DANA 44 rear, DAN 30 front (Both have U.S. trademark stamps and no Spanish markings.

Its so far been a struggle getting it apart with metric and standard bolts mixed throughout. (sometimes standard bolts heads with metric nuts)
Weird setups not found on U.S. 3B's like hydraulic clutch cylinder, and Euro fuses (think old Volkswagen)
I'm also starting to find frame differences, as my 3B has frame horns for the front bumper like 2A's.

I'll need help with some identification, as documentation for the 3B is not easy to come by.

Pics.

Offline Davros

Re: Viasa CJ-3B (Project Lazarus)
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 11:20:51 AM »
The first question is about the front bumper gussets, my 3B has gussets in the MB style, while every pic I have seen of a 3B show the bumper directly attached to the frame horn.

Viasa made the MB, the 2A, and the 3B and I wonder if they just stuck with the MB style for simplicity.

The bumper that is currently installed is not original and has been welded on. It doesn't even touch the gusset at the bottom.

Any ideas what I should do here?

Offline SteveKfl

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 11:50:24 AM »
I don't recall ever seeing a "center vented" 3B windshield before.  Neat!  I'm sure if you don't know of it already, Derek Redmond's 3B website that just celebrated 23 years on the web http://cj3b.info/ will keep you occupied for hours with lots of information and pics to absorb there about 3Bs and others.  There is even a map where you can select "Spain" to see Viaso info and pics.  Happy viewing!
My Concept Roadster
62 DJ3A Dispatcher Half Top

Offline Davros

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2019, 12:20:03 PM »
Thanks  Steve, Derek's site has been a great source of information for me.

As for the vented 3B windshield I have also never seen one, although all the photos of Spanish 3B's have them.
It also has the upper electric wipers, and the windshield to hood bumpers are on the windscreen not the hood.
Of the body panels the only parts I plan to keep are the hood (stamped Jeep) the windshield (with vent)
and as much of the dash as possible (with glove box)

I'll have to compare frames with someone at some point to make sure a new Tub is a bolt on affair.

Marc
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 12:22:17 PM by Davros »

Offline oldtime

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2019, 03:08:10 PM »
Interesting deviations from US versions.
That particular bumper looks to be  from a 1976 or later CJ.

Offline Davros

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2019, 08:44:45 PM »
Oldtime, it may be from a later Jeep, It's certainly larger than original.

I might be tempted to leave it if it was straight, but it is not.

Offline oldtime

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2019, 08:04:29 PM »
The standard CJ bumper 1945 2A through 1965 3B is 4" OAH by 46" OAW.
The 1955-1971 CJ-5 bumper is  wider at 54" OAW.