The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: project: crunchy roll (53 cj3a)  (Read 60 times)

Offline Squishymonster

project: crunchy roll (53 cj3a)
« on: November 01, 2019, 11:56:42 AM »
My 53 arrived Halloween morning, along with the first snow of the year. Since it wouldn't start, I was pleasantly surprised to find a rough but functional tow bar in the cab. It is nowhere near a slop-free fit, but it did the trick for getting it towed into the barn without much hassle.

I only had about an hour and a half to get it moved and poke it a bit. It wouldn't start. Cranks, but I only got about one cylinder pop out of the whole endeavor. And unfortunately I'm about to head out on a two week vacation so this is going to be driving me nuts the whole time :)

There are several new parts under the hood. I don't know, but I get the impression that the previous owner was pumping some spare change into it trying to get it to run, and decided to cut his losses. The radiator has been rodded, the head and water pump have been serviced in some manner - they are both newly painted forest green. The block is old steel. New belt, carb, distributor, ignition switch, plugs, wires.

The carb's "cruise control" throttle and choke cables were disconnected. I can mostly make out how they work.

After cranking it a bit I started to pull the carb fuel-in line, but after getting it half off it was very clearly pressurized from my previous start attempts, so I put it back on. Spark on cylinder one was solid. Plug didn't seem wet to me, and after cranking it a few times with plug 1 out, I didn't see or smell excessive fuel in the cylinder.

There's a little nut (square head in my case) near the bottom of the carb on the side. I pulled that to see if I could detect fuel moving through the carb, but no. Behind the nut was a very small dark hole and I didn't see anything pour or spray out while cranking the engine.

I ran out of time, but inside the house I started learning some about the oil pump and distributor orientation / relationship - really neat!

This morning I quickly checked the distributor, and my cylinder 1 cable is _not_ in the factor stock location. Right now I'm thinking that I want to pull the distributor to check the oil pump notch orientation and work backwards from there.

Offline oldtime

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: project: crunchy roll (53 cj3a)
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 06:19:53 PM »
Is this the 53 CJ3A that was recently on CL in the KC area ?

I'm wondering because I'm hoping to find a 1953 3A that is titled in Mo.

Good Luck with it !

Offline Squishymonster

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 06:52:19 PM »
I'm not sure, but it sounds possible. I found it through willysforsale.com and its currently on page 6. Title for MO so far.

My searchtempest searches never brought it up in MO though.

I ended up paying $530 for hauling to IL. Check out uship.com if you find something further than you want to drive, and can handle the extra cost.

Offline Squishymonster

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 11:47:56 PM »
It almost wanted to turn over tonight, but lots of backfiring and exhaust. Way different from yesterday. Maybe the cold and sub freezing temps gave it issues. Also the starter sou ds line it free wheels and spins down after each attempt and that didnt happen yesterday.

It doesnt have a muffler at the moment. I might need to address that so the neighbors dont think I'm shooting at 9 in the evening :)

Offline Squishymonster

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2019, 10:45:57 AM »
I'm out of state for another week so there's not much I can do, or is there? I ordered a muffler, tail pipe, hangers, throttle/choke cables, Nd the shop manual - all waiting at home for my return. After I I stall the muffler, I'll check the firing order before cranking it again.

I realized with about $/0 in Harbor Freight tools I could start learning how to move sheet metal so when it comes time to patch my passenger floor / tool box I wont be quite so clueless.

Here is a WIP top and bottom lid of a "lunchbox". Flatties are basically big lunch boxes on wheels, right?