The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: snapped fender bolts and bearings in a Ross steering box  (Read 84 times)

Offline dluyk

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Now what do I do?
    • View Profile
snapped fender bolts and bearings in a Ross steering box
« on: September 19, 2019, 07:51:17 PM »
I have a couple of questions..#1 I've removed the fenders from the frame - in doing so the bolts snapped. Does this mean
I have to drill out the remaining bolts. I can't tell from feeling around inside the frame how to remove them. Both sides snapped.

#2 Just curious how many bearings should their be in Ross steering box. When I opened it up the lower bearings came lose. I was
careful and don't think I lost any - but there appears to be a gap that could hold 1 more bearing. I have 9 - should there be 10 or
is the gap allowing for better movement?

Offline Rus Curtis

• Global Moderator
  • Flatfender Enthusiast
  • Retired
    • View Profile
Re: snapped fender bolts and bearings in a Ross steering box
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 09:53:51 PM »
dluyk,
On the fenders, that hole is threaded.  I suspect a nut or doubler (that has been threaded) is on the inside surface of the frame.  The parts manual shows that bolt 3/8 - 24.  It may be possible to extract it but extractors are notorious for snapping off in the hole you drilled.  I've had better luck drilling a bigger hole than what the directions say (just inside the threads) to give the extractor a deeper penetration.  If that doesn't back your snapped bolts out with very little effort (before the extractor snaps off too), rethreading the hole will be safer.

Added:  I see a nub sticking out.  Others have described welding a nut onto the broken bolt.  It heats and expands the hole to help loosen the grip and gives you a really good hex shape to get a wrench or socket on.

On the steering gear assembly, you should have a set of ball bearings for the top too.  How many did you put back there?  They should match.  The parts manual shows:

639104      Ball, steering gear cam (Steel) 5/16".....22

That would suggest top and bottom will hold 11.  I'm betting you still have a couple or so hiding in a corner.  Do you have a good magnet?  Use a flashlight flat across the floor to create a long shadow (I've found many tiny pieces this way).
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 10:00:09 PM by Rus Curtis »
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline dluyk

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Now what do I do?
    • View Profile
Re: snapped fender bolts and bearings in a Ross steering box
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 04:28:21 PM »
Thank you for the info. I did find the missing bearing so I have what I need. Now the struggle is getting the
steering gear arm off the sector shaft. I was able to get 1 of the fender bolts off. PB Blaster is a wonderful thing.

You guys/gals have no idea how helpful you are when you pass on your tips and knowledge. It's so helpful.