The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Front end alignment  (Read 231 times)

Offline PhilipS

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Front end alignment
« on: September 13, 2019, 06:05:08 PM »
I cannot find any real specs for the alignment for my 49 CJ3A. except toe in of 3/64"-3/32. Anybody have anything above and beyond this?
Thanks.

Offline Rus Curtis

Re: Front end alignment
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 08:58:43 PM »
Philip,
The Service Manual (my manual, starting with Section O-9) indicates the caster and camber are set based on axle design and are preset.  They can be out if bearings aren't adjusted - or damage to the axle/knuckle has occured.  It is possible to add shims between the axle and springs to affect caster.

That really only leaves toe-in.  My SM describes after setting straight ahead, turn each tie rod approximately 1/2 turn to shorten.  The SM does state all three measurements should be checked (I confess I've never done that). 

I do see the same range that you posted, 3/64" to 3/32", in my Chilton's manual.  It also lists values for the other two:  Caster: (3degs.) and Camber: (1 1/2degs.) [Corrected 'cause I used a "minus sign"] :-[

« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 11:05:58 PM by Rus Curtis »
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline Bruce_W

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 09:18:09 PM »
Rus,
  You do not want to use a "dash" in front of the numbers for caster and camber, unless they are "minus" or "negative" values. What you posted would be read by an alignment tech as "Caster negative 3degs. and Camber negative 1 1/2degs." This would be hard to adjust to, and would not make for a very enjoyable jeep to drive. Tire wear would be a problem too. Both spec's are positive.  Not trying to be nit-picky, just want it to be right for someone in the future who reads this thread.   BW
Until We Jeep Again...........

Offline Rus Curtis

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 11:02:26 PM »
Bruce, good catch!

No, I wasn't trying to say "negative"  it was an attempt at "dash"

Must. Fix. Punctuation.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 11:06:29 PM by Rus Curtis »
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline Mark W.

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2019, 04:59:37 PM »
Has anyone had a 4 wheel alignment done. It would seam that if the suspension was taken completely apart it would be good to make sure the rear axle is in line with the frame and front axle?
Chug A Lug

1948 CJ2A Tub and Title
1949 CJ3A Windshield
1957 CJ5� �Frame and Springs
134L T90 9.25" D18 D25 and D44 30 spline
11" Brakes, Saginaw Steering, 12V electrical
currently in a zillion pi

Offline Rus Curtis

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2019, 05:16:35 PM »
I have not.  There are pins on the spring packs that go into a hole on the spring perch.  Not much movement.   

I suppose its possible to have an alignment issue, but I don't know if it would be enough to be a problem.  Interesting question.
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline Bob W

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2019, 08:42:20 PM »
I don't think I would pay someone to do a 4 wheel alignment. Talk to them first to see what you will receive. Most places will probably only adjust the front toe, since that's really the only adjustment. You can do the same with a tape measure and two people. If you get a front wheel alignment the toe will be adjusted and the printout may include the thrust angle which shows if the rear axle is "straight".
Bob W