The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Windshield vent stop  (Read 49028 times)

Offline stony

• Willys Guru
    • View Profile
Windshield vent stop
« on: August 13, 2013, 01:22:32 PM »
Hey folks, time for another project.� I have noticed on this and a couple of other forums that there seems to be a need for the windshield vent handle ratchet stops, and they do not seem to be readily available.� Mine is in pretty good shape but I can see where it could be easily broken and lost.� �Making one seemed like an interesting challenge, so here goes.� This is not a how to article, because in order to write one you should actually know how to.�..� This is just how I am tackling the project.� I was going to wait until I had actually made one, but I thought it might be more fun to follow along.� So this is what I am going to try to duplicate.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 07:38:06 AM by stonyloam »
Terry
1949 CJ3A 11159 body 11225 engine 11140
On preservation vs. restoration:Roscoe Lee Brown "the Cowboys" when he met the whores on the trail:"Well, I have the inclination, but not the time”.

Offline stony

• Willys Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Windshield vent stop
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 01:35:33 PM »
There are 7 bends and 2 "feet" to do, so I am figuring it out one step at a time.� The first is getting the correct spacing in the end of the stop and the correct shape of the end.� Correct width, not too bad, found a hunk of angle close to the right width, but first couple were a few thousandths to wide, so I ground it down a little and it is pretty close now.� Second is the flat section in the inside of the the bend, was able to come pretty close by forging the end against the squared off end of the angle.� Just have too work a little on getting the correct flattened outside shape, should be able to either forge it or just grind it a little flatter.� Next thing to tackle is building a little bending jig to do the two side bend.� First bend will be easy, just a round mandrel, the second will need a square mandrel which will be a little more of a pain.� Some pix of the progress.  So far so good.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 01:39:00 PM by stonyloam »
Terry
On preservation vs. restoration:Roscoe Lee Brown "the Cowboys" when he met the whores on the trail:"Well, I have the inclination, but not the time”.

Offline ZekeD

• Willys Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 02:34:45 PM »
Cool!  If you built a jig, could you make all of the bends at one time with only one heating?

Just 2�....  ;)

Zeke
The most affectionate thing in the world is a wet dog.

Offline stony

• Willys Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 03:23:17 PM »
Nope, have to do them one at a time in sequence otherwise the mandrels get in the way.� The first bend is done on a separate piece then on the jig I need to do the inside bends (mandrel on outside) then insert the mandrel for the outside bends, otherwise they get in each others way.� The down bends will be done on a different mandrel, then will have to build a jig to forge the feet.� Once that is done it will be easy LOL.� I have things set up temporarily to make the first one, just clamped things in place to figure out what I need.� Got the first few bends done, seem to look OK, not quite symmetrical, but will fix that.� Going to work on the final setup for the jig.� So far so good.

Update:� Am considering a different jig for the third bend to get everything shaped correctly.� So will probably be doing 4 different simple jigs (and making a couple of tools), for bending and a fifth for forging the feet.� Doing it that way should be able to get close to an exact match.� Takes a little more time but should give better results.� I knew this would happen LOL.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 04:31:51 PM by stonyloam »
Terry

Offline stony

• Willys Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 05:23:46 PM »
Did a little work on this today, spent some time making a couple of jigs to get the bends correct.  Going pretty well.  So far three jigs have been made, the initial forming is around the end of a piece of angle iron, then made a little jig to hold the wire and make the second bends.  The third form is to properly make the outside bends on the wire.  All are working well and so far it matches the original nicely.  still getting a few too many tool marks, but those can be taken care of.  Left to do is come up with a jig to make the final bend, and a jig to hold the stop when the feet are forged, maybe tomorrow, having a beer now.  Here are some pix of the jigs and the results. 
Terry

Offline stony

• Willys Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 02:58:03 PM »
Took a break from mowing the lawn and fooled around a little this afternoon.� Got the first prototype done, there is a lot wrong with it, tool marks all over and the feet are a little uneven (did it freehand), the slot is too long and the bends are not quite right, but there is enough right with it that I can finish making the two jigs that are needed to get everything correct with the next one.� Could actually probably use this one and only two people would ever know it is not correct, me (because I made it) and Bob W (because he is, well....... Bob W ;)).
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 03:00:32 PM by stonyloam »
Terry

Offline Quebec Jeep

• SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • CJ-3A 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 04:05:15 PM »
only two people would ever know it is not correct, me (because I made it) and Bob W (because he is, well....... Bob W ).

And all the people here who follow you!
I'm jeepcoholic!

Offline stony

• Willys Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 03:27:25 PM »
I am not so sure anyone should be following me ;).  Anyway what I thought would take 3 hours wound up taking about 3 days, but I finally have all the tools made to make these dang things.  Here is the result, it is about #5, but is production(?) run #1, unit #1, I think it worked out pretty well, so will be making about 10 which should be enough to supply what I expect to be an underwhelming demand LOL.   All of the mandrels and jigs to so the various bends.  Each bend has its special problems, but by welding on stops and guides it worked out pretty well, and they should come out as reasonable facsimiles the original.
Terry

Offline Bob W

• Flatfender Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 06:32:02 PM »
I like it! Have you decided on a price yet?
Bob W

Offline Quebec Jeep

• SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • CJ-3A 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 10:33:51 PM »
I will import one here and i do expect to pay more for shipping! Lol ;D ;D
I'm jeepcoholic!

Offline garage gnome

• Flatfender Master
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 07:23:11 AM »
Great write up!
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline stony

• Willys Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 08:11:02 AM »
I am thinking $10 plus $2 shipping US, Guessing $4 to the Great North.� That will get me up to minimum wage :D  �
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 08:12:09 AM by stonyloam »
Terry

Offline athawk11

• SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 08:34:15 AM »
Nicely done!!  8-)
There may be more demand than you think.  You might call Carl Walck to see if he would like to carry them. 

Tim
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline stony

• Willys Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 04:38:57 PM »
Nicely done!!� 8-)
There may be more demand than you think.� You might call Carl Walck to see if he would like to carry them.�

Tim

My nephew made the same suggestion, so I explained to him that if I started making them for someone, then that would involve obligations, and when you have obligations your pursuits change from fun hobby to job drudgery, so for the time being  I plan to make a few for the folks on this forum that need em. ;) 
Terry

Offline Quebec Jeep

• SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • CJ-3A 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 07:05:26 PM »
If you already taking reservations then please add my name on your list.
I'm jeepcoholic!