The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Throttle cable (dash mounted) question  (Read 1617 times)

Offline squidtone

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Throttle cable (dash mounted) question
« on: March 03, 2019, 09:36:03 PM »
Hi folks,
I'm wrapping up my dash work, and I've got the cables left to do. In particular, I wonder what the deal is with the "THROTTLE" cable controller. I see that I can probably make it work even with the SOLEX carb, but my cable is rusted shut. I either need a new one, or hybridize my parts with a new cheapie choke cable.
Question is: How did this throttle cable work? Did it have enough friction to overcome the return spring on the carb linkage? It has a bump to keep the shaft from rotating, presumably to keep the verbage on the knob face straight? Or some other reason?
I see some folks complain about new cables not having ability to be locked...did original throttle cables have this ability?
Well any insight is welcome...thankyou
Dave
Dave Miles
Presently: � � � � � � � �
03 Rubicon,
50 CJ3A
Past:
01 XJ Cherokee,
87 XJ Cherokee,
85 XJ Cherokee,
83 CJ8,
81 CJ7

Offline BillT

Re: Throttle cable (dash mounted) question
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 10:13:58 PM »
It�s been years since I had a working hand throttle. I can�t recall which Jeep it was, may have been the m38a1, but the throttle shaft had notches that would catch on a lip to hold it in position. I think it had a t-handle and you would turn the handle a quarter turn to engage or disengage it. Seemed like a good setup.
'52 CJ3A, early M38A1, '70 Commando
25' travel trailer, Lance 855S truck camper
Love to camp

Offline stony

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 10:39:56 AM »
Mine just seems to rely on friction, like the choke cable.  I can�t exactly remember but I don�t think the throttle spring comes into play on the WO carb.  Mine was stuck pretty good too, but I shot some penitrating oil in and finally got it to move.  Worked it back and forth and it works OK now.
Terry
1949 CJ3A 11159 body 11225 engine 11140
On preservation vs. restoration:Roscoe Lee Brown "the Cowboys" when he met the whores on the trail:"Well, I have the inclination, but not the time.

Offline squidtone

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 11:05:47 AM »
Thanks!
I'm using a SOLEX right now so it seems like the throttle spring will be in force. Logically it seems like the WO carb should have been designed so the throttle cable operation would bypass the return spring. I'll check it out (I still have the WO carb that came on my Jeep but it's siezed solid so I can't see how that linkage operates...)

I think I will buy a surplus locking throttle lever from ebay just as a hoot. They look like the kind used for governors. The ones I see are inexpensive quarter turn lockable.
Dave Miles
03 Rubicon,
50 CJ3A
Past:
01 XJ Cherokee,
87 XJ Cherokee,
85 XJ Cherokee,
83 CJ8,
81 CJ7

Offline Rus Curtis

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 11:36:55 AM »
I installed new cables and there is a ridge to keep the knob/shaft from rotating when pulling to actuate.  Friction keeps it in place (keep in mind it is the entire length rubbing against the outer sheath).

Unlike the choke (which needs to be locked to the carb for both push/pull), the throttle only pulls so it should be able to slip without binding when the throttle lever moves.
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline Steve R

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 02:53:35 PM »
Mine used to immediately go back in when you let go of it. Changed it to one that locks when you twist it. Couldn't see the point of the ones that pop right back.

Offline stony

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 06:51:50 PM »
Hmmm did some research, it looks like it does work against the throttle spring.  The cable just pulls the linkage back, but allowed it to move freely if you want to increase the throttle with the foot peddle.
Terry
1949 CJ3A 11159 body 11225 engine 11140
On preservation vs. restoration:Roscoe Lee Brown "the Cowboys" when he met the whores on the trail:"Well, I have the inclination, but not the time.

Offline squidtone

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2019, 10:18:02 AM »
I checked my solex, and indeed the dash mounted THROTTLE control would have to pull against the carb return spring. And it's pretty a pretty strong spring pressure. It feels like that spring pressure would overcome the dash control easily...I'll report back when I fabricate/fix my old throttle cable.
Dave Miles
03 Rubicon,
50 CJ3A
Past:
01 XJ Cherokee,
87 XJ Cherokee,
85 XJ Cherokee,
83 CJ8,
81 CJ7

Offline athawk11

• SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2019, 02:51:41 PM »
I checked my solex, and indeed the dash mounted THROTTLE control would have to pull against the carb return spring. And it's pretty a pretty strong spring pressure. It feels like that spring pressure would overcome the dash control easily...I'll report back when I fabricate/fix my old throttle cable.

I'll be interested to see what you come up with for the throttle cable on a Solex.� I don't use a Solex anymore, but when I did have one, I didn't have a throttle cable connected. Or maybe I had the throttle connected, but no choke...?  I might have to dig out some old photos.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 02:56:44 PM by athawk11 »
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline athawk11

• SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2019, 03:31:14 PM »
I did find some old images.  Apparently, I did figure out how to connect both cables.  It was quite a few years ago now.   I can�t imagine the choke worked very well.  This might have been why I rebuilt the Carter WO that the prior owner included in the sale.

2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline BillT

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2019, 06:30:07 PM »
This post prompted me to go ahead and install my new throttle cable. As mentioned the cable does slid back to normal idle. Looks like I will be searching for a cable that will hold its setting.
Bummer
Love to camp

Offline 1955CJ-5

• Flatfender Master
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2019, 07:29:04 PM »
I've been following this but didn't have much to add...I bought a ratcheting type years ago on ebay but the knob was green and poorly formed..it just looked cheap.

Here is one from Midwest Military for the M38A1....should be long enough but you might call them....my early cj-5 is similar, but  the throttle cable is positioned a little differently..closer to the steering column so the cable may be a little shorter...

https://store.midwestmilitary.com/product-p/7375116.htm
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 07:33:13 PM by 1955CJ-5 »
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline BillT

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2019, 07:45:44 PM »
Thanks for the link.
Love to camp

Offline squidtone

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2019, 09:43:46 PM »
There is a seller on ebay that has some military "Throttle" handle style, quarter turn locking cables. They look great, but it looks like the diameter of the mount is 1/2 inch "D" shape, which means it would have to go into the Governor mounting hole to the left of the steering column. The original mounting hole location (above the gauges) is only a 3/8" "D" shaped hole, so it would have to be reamed out to fit the lockable type cable.
attached is a shot of the cable I see offered by a few ebay sellers.

One seller want 12 bucks plus 5 for shipping for some slightly oxidized units. I think I'll grab one just to see what I can do with it.

edit: Whoops, 1955CJ5, that's the same type as you posted!

« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 09:56:52 PM by squidtone »
Dave Miles
03 Rubicon,
50 CJ3A
Past:
01 XJ Cherokee,
87 XJ Cherokee,
85 XJ Cherokee,
83 CJ8,
81 CJ7

Offline squidtone

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2019, 10:14:09 PM »
Tim,
I see that your solex hand throttle cable housing is not fixed to the carb....I thought it should be clamped in the "C" shaped clamp looking thing as shown attached...I used a generic cable to try it and it does function, (but as suspected the return spring does pull it closed)
Note too I have a funny piece mounted to the same "C" clamp screw to serve as a return spring mount.
Dave Miles
03 Rubicon,
50 CJ3A
Past:
01 XJ Cherokee,
87 XJ Cherokee,
85 XJ Cherokee,
83 CJ8,
81 CJ7