The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Herm The Overdrive Guy  (Read 3108 times)

Offline Tumbleweed

Herm The Overdrive Guy
« on: December 13, 2016, 04:28:38 PM »
I tried calling Herm the ODG but his telephone mailbox is full. I need to get my OD rebuilt - is he still a good source?

Thanks,

Tumbleweed
49 CJ3A - "Smokey"
53 Willys Wagon - "Wylie"

Offline Tumbleweed

Re: Herm The Overdrive Guy
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 08:35:28 AM »
Got it thanks Rick......
49 CJ3A - "Smokey"

Offline aboyandhisdog

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 04:07:16 PM »
So George, is Herm still around or what?  Vacation maybe? 
Tom

Offline Tumbleweed

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 09:58:42 AM »
I think he is but from some of the feedback I have been getting on private messages I'm not so sure I want to deal with him. I will try a local guy in Ft Worth or Dallas area.

His phone message inbox us full and will not except calls. I ran across this similar kind of situation with Mona when I tried to get my canvas top. Couldn't get an answer, no return calls.

Not sure I want to send Herm an overdrive and have to fight to get it back. 

Hope your staying warm!

49 CJ3A - "Smokey"

Offline aboyandhisdog

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 10:42:29 AM »
Cold here, George - 10 below this morning.  Good day to stay in and view some football perhaps.  I wonder how Oilly and Lee are getting along up in the far north.

Interesting about Herm and New Life Canvas.  I sent them (NLC) an email a couple of weeks ago inquiring about some of those "seat back packs" that they make, and have had no response at all.   I think the mom & pop shops must struggle to keep up. 
Tom

Offline Lee

• Flatfender Enthusiast
  • Will-is enthousiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 11:26:24 AM »
-28 here this am, nice wood fires in the house and shop  :D

I have done business with Herm, it did not involve an overdrive and have no issues with him. I do have many friends that have not had good service form Herm. The overdrives I use, I have resealed and installed fresh bearings in myself, parts from a local bearing supplier are not expensive and fairly easy to install. As long as here is no issue with the bowl gear or planetary assembly do as I did... If I wanted an overdrive, I would buy a new Saturn, less hassle, and only a few dollars more than a used one with a freshening up.... As New Life goes, good luck!, I've heard a few rumors locally, none confirmed at this point. Less hassle doing business otherplaces IMO.

Lee ;)
American Engineered Rolling History

Offline Oilleaker1

• Willys Guru
  • Automotive Archeology/ Jeep Disease, Green Diseas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 02:37:09 PM »
George, is your OD a Warn or Saturn? Advance adaptors sells all the saturn parts. Some of the Warn parts are not the same. As to dealing with Herm, he is independant and his his way of doing things. I have bought things from him and got what  I orderd. I also had to finish up a job he did that I wasn't happy with. If your overdrive needs alot, you might be better off buying a new one. Just depends. Make sure you mark your stuff so it can't be lost or switched if you send it to him.

Tom, 20 below last night here, it's 20 above right now.  Storm wasn't too bad.  I sent it over to Lee to share. What are friends for? ;D Oilly