The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: My 3A so far. First drive on the road  (Read 16130 times)

Offline LeeC

Re: My 3A so far. What to do with sand blasted body
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2016, 05:48:12 PM »
I agree the longer the primer sits the better, that lets it shrink into the scratches. I do most of my playing on weekends so stuff has a week to setup. I have some skill and way more time so it works out ok. It took me all winter to do just the model a body and I'm still finishing the hood.

Offline specialty

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2016, 06:43:25 PM »
With me it's more of a time issue as my work permits. I have not done much to it the last 2 weeks.

Offline LeeC

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2016, 04:36:05 PM »
Any updates?

Offline specialty

Re: My 3A so far. What to do with sand blasted body up
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2016, 08:00:43 AM »
I almost have the body ready! Had a few body guys check it out and they said it was pretty good shape. I have done some body work but back mainly in vocational school years ago but for some reason the technique never changed much. It's still the same old dirty work. However with the addition of some niffy air tools I must say it's made progress.

Offline specialty

« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2016, 08:07:39 AM »
A few more.
I would like to put some type of undercoating on the bottom and inside the tub mainly to cover where the panels butt together after welding and to clean things up some. I need something that can be painted over since I want the tub all the same color, in, out, and under. However I have not seen anything that does not have to have the top coat put on while the coating is still tacky. It may be a few days after doing this before I can get to the paint room. Any ideas?

Offline LeeC

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2016, 07:17:36 PM »
Go to a place that sells automotive paint and supplies, Look for SEM or 3M. 3M makes a product called rocker panel schutz, it's meant to be painted over, I've used it before with good results. I believe SEM makes a similar product, I've had good luck with their stuff too.

Offline specialty

« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2016, 08:20:32 PM »
Go to a place that sells automotive paint and supplies, Look for SEM or 3M. 3M makes a product called rocker panel schutz, it's meant to be painted over, I've used it before with good results. I believe SEM makes a similar product, I've had good luck with their stuff too.

Sounds like a good idea. Another guy had mentioned that to me also. Is there anytime limit before applying the top coat? I never have used the stuff but on a car it looks sorta like egg shell. After applying the build up primer and seam sealer it may
cover up some of the imperfections inside the tub. I could possibly then just use seam sealer and primer on the underside then. I thought about the 3M undercoating  on the bottom and inside but have not checked on applying the top coating over it yet. Although it has good reviews I am also concerned about it flaking off in a few years leaving a terrible mess to remove and clean up. I had once bought a Jeep TJ the guy Rhino lined the hood and it was no fun getting that stuff off. Took about 4 cans of stripper and a lot of work not to mention the mess.

Offline LeeC

« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2016, 04:47:36 PM »
The 3M product I'm talking about is for giving that slight texture and chip resistance on rocker panels, it has a texture more like an orange peel. It is kind of like a course eggshell when painted over, I don't know if your supposed to paint over it rite away but if you are I did it wrong, it came out well and never peeled. I think SEM actually makes one that you can tint with your paint and do it all at once. What type of paint do you plan on using (acrylic enamel,urethane,clear coat....)?

Offline specialty

« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2016, 07:15:36 PM »
I was thinking about using the 2 stage base coat clear coat. It seems to be very forgiving if your not spraying in a perfect environment. A run can be sanded out, dirt can be sanded out, etc, and buffed to where you can't see it. However I hear enamel can do the same thing. I have no idea which one is the most durable.
I have read over the products and the ones that are paintable seem to need painted within a hour or so. Looks like if I do use some sort of undercoat my painter may have to do it at his shop or time would run out. There may be adhesion issues if not done in that time frame, at this point I don't know.

Offline Mark W.

« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2016, 07:29:16 PM »
Another suggestion is to do what they do with Products like POR-15 that basically can't be painted once dried. Before the product is dry spray a primer coat into it. It can even be a good quality rattle can primer. As the product underneath dries it will bond with the primer coat and then your top coat will bond with the primer.

I sandblasted the underside of my 66 Chevelle and then laid down a good coat of POR-15 into the etched metal. Before the POR-15 could setup I sprayed a quality primer using my detail gun. Allowed the whole mess to dry for a few days and then went back with a Lt Gray Ford tractor paint and top coated it.

It looked beautiful since the POR-15 lays out flat even if brushed on the finished paint looked like it had been all prepped and done like the top side of a car would be. Only in this case the coating on the bottom of the car was so hard a nail wouldn't scratch it once it got the POR-15 layer. And VERY chip and rust resistant.

I see no reason why after doing a small test you couldn't do the same thing with your coating.
Chug A Lug

1948 CJ2A Tub and Title
1949 CJ3A Windshield
1957 CJ5� �Frame and Springs
134L T90 9.25" D18 D25 and D44 30 spline
11" Brakes, Saginaw Steering, 12V electrical
currently in a zillion pi

Offline specialty

« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2016, 07:55:30 PM »
Did you put the Por-15 on over the bare blasted metal?

Offline specialty

« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2016, 09:42:46 AM »
Update of the body on the frame. All went well here, I was real close on my mounts. Need to take it back of now and finish the prep. About done with the body work and it seems good and straight. Many hours went into that phase of this project. Hopefully will be painted sometime in April. Just need now to do the wiring and rebuild the steering knuckles yet. And probabley a million odds and ends.

Offline 1955CJ-5

• Flatfender Master
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2016, 05:20:15 PM »
It looks great...taking the time now to make everything fit is definitely worth it....
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 55 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline specialty

« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2016, 07:53:47 PM »
I had a few issues but nothing serious. I  tried to plan things out so I would not have any bad surprises. I used about 3/4 inch rubber spacers between the body and frame. I noticed when doing the body it had a lot of stress cracks either from vibration or twisting. I don't know if bushings were originally used or not. I am also not going to bolt the rear of the front fenders to the frame. Looks like doing that would explain all the cracks in the fenders from the frame flexing. Anyone else mount their bodies on rubber?

Offline 1955CJ-5

• Flatfender Master
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2016, 10:28:37 PM »
3/4" thick? I think the originals were about 1/4" and two were used in places...

But Nate, Garage Gnome, used thicker spacers and I think they look and worked fine...

Maybe he will respond.....
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 55 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...