The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Permatex #2  (Read 781 times)

Offline Tumbleweed

Permatex #2
« on: October 16, 2015, 11:06:56 AM »
I do not want to use any RTV in the transmission or transfer case so my question is:

Permatex #2 the best for sealing bolts and mating gasket surfaces?

Next year I don't want tho be the guy at FCT that has the biggest puddle under the Jeep! ;D

Pulling the transmission and transfer case is not fun either. Is there any way to test for leaks prior to installing back into the Jeep once I have put new seals in?

49 CJ3A - "Smokey"
53 Willys Wagon - "Wylie"

Offline scoutpilot

Re: Permatex #2
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 12:22:13 PM »
[size=12]Permatex #2 is best for bolts that will enter the water jacket. Indian head Shellac for all gaskets (apply to the block side only) except for the head gasket. For the head gasket there are a few schools of thought. Some say put nothing on it. Some, like me,  say spray copper sealer (Permatex makes a good spray) on the block side.
Most leaks, if everything is near-perfectly mated, sealed and properly tightened, are caused by crankcase pressures associated with an improperly maintained PCV Valve.[/size]
[/b]
Old fashioned service never goes out of style.
http: // www.oldjeepcarbs.freeforums.net

Offline 1955CJ-5

• Flatfender Master
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: Permatex #2
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 05:38:00 PM »
I use Permatex #2 on nearly everything, gaskets and bolts ....on stubborn threaded leaks I use Permatex #14a thread sealant. There is a primer/activator that goes along with the 14a but I haven't used it..just takes a lot longer to cure.

I've read about the Indian Head shellac as Scout mentioned, especially on the model a forums but have not used it.

I've also used the Permatex copper spray with good results.

I've often wondered if you couldn't double the seals in the TC like I think you did in your steering box...

Be sure to seal the splines too...

Mine didn't leak until I started taking it apart to change out the intermediate gear and shaft....I had it apart three or four times...

Now it drips a little but I can live with that...
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 05:40:29 PM by 1955CJ-5 »
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...