The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: carter vrs. solex  (Read 4023 times)

Offline terryb

• Willys Fan
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
carter vrs. solex
« on: March 08, 2015, 02:23:45 PM »
hey guys, i have a question i want to throw out there and see what your opinion is.  when i rebuilt my '51 awhile back i went with a new solex carb instead of trying to rebuild the carter that came on it. it seems to run ok but now im thinking of trying to rebuild the carter. i would have to buy a rebuild kit and a new float where as this float is junk. i would have alittle over $100 in doing this so my question to you guys is would you try this or stick to the solex. is the carter a far better carb. than the solex?  thanks gentlemen
terryb

Offline athawk11

• SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: carter vrs. solex
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 02:47:54 PM »
Terry,
That's a good question.  I did what you're contemplating.  My Solex seemed to run fine, but I could never get it to work right when adjusting the PSI to the recommended 1.5 to 2 PSI.  I had to deliver the full 4-5 PSI flow, or it would starve for fuel.  My result...It always ran rich.  I must note...I live at 5,500 ft above sea level.

I wanted to use the original Carter WO, primarily because of the way it looks, but also because this was the original design.

For you, it may come down to the condition of your Carter.  If it's got all the linkages, the throttle shaft is fairly tight in the bore, you don't have any cracks in the base, or any obvious damage, then I say, go for it.  A rebuild is a little intimidating at first, but there are some very good rebuild guides available, and ScoutPilot (resident expert) can really help you be successful.

My opinion...I Love the Carter.  If clean and rebuilt, it will improve your performance.

Tim
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline garage gnome

• Flatfender Master
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 07:32:35 PM »
x2 on the Carter. Solexes are problematic. You can get the Carter repaired with new throttle shaft bushings if needed. Another nice thing about the carter, if you are going down a trail or road and a jet gets plugged up, you can easily take it out to clean with only a screwdriver.
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline Ryan_M

• Flatfender Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 07:43:55 PM »
if you are going down a trail or road and a jet gets plugged up, you can easily take it out to clean with only a screwdriver.

He's not kidding. I will personally attest to being there  ;D

I've only had one experience with a Solex and it wasn't good. I quickly replaced it with a Carter and never looked back.
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline garage gnome

• Flatfender Master
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 07:48:18 PM »
No that was a condenser!  ;) ;D
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline Ryan_M

• Flatfender Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 07:49:27 PM »
No that was a condenser!� ;) ;D

No, the year before  ;D ;D ;D
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline garage gnome

• Flatfender Master
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 08:00:55 PM »
Oh yeah well... uhh rather not talk about that...  ::)

Offline aboyandhisdog

• Flatfender Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 09:21:26 PM »
Hey Terry,
I may be the only guy here who is happy with his Solex, but then I've not had a Carter that was "right" from a perfect rebuild.  No doubt they are great if in great condition. 

Like Tim, I am at about 5500 feet and needed a carb that I could actually lean out for altitude.  Almost impossible with the Carter as there do not seem to be any lean metering rods out there and I've never heard of a lean main jet.  It could not be easier to lean out the Solex by replacing the main jet - takes 5 minutes.

I have heard of guys having the problem with too much fuel pressure, but the fuel pump I bought from KW is rated at 2psi off the shelf.  Originally I did have a regulator installed to give me 1.5 psi and was always fussing with it.  As soon as I took it off, the Solex has performed flawlessly.  To this point (6 years or so) it has been trouble free and I get 20mpg consistently.  Could get only 15-17 with the Carter.  Just another point of view for you.
Tom

Offline athawk11

• SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 10:55:27 AM »
I was hoping aboyandhisdog would chime in on this.  I know you have had success with the Solex and wanted Terry to know there are decent opinions on the Solex too.

Bottom line, they can't be all bad.  There are a lot of them installed on L-134 engines.  I've just grown very fond of the Carter WO.

Tim
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline macrisel

• Flatfender Master
  • Always in the middle of a project
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 05:15:46 PM »
I would have to weigh in on the side of Carter on this one.  (Disclaimer, I have never had a Solex).  Most all the literature (and experience) you will find refer to adjusting the Carter carbs for these engines.  They are the baseline and everything else is outside of the norm.  While not necessarily bad, it is one more thing to keep up, learn and diagnose if there are issues.

I rebuilt my own Carter and it is not too bad.  It works, but probably not as well as it could (I still run a little rich).  In all honesty, if I were starting over from scratch I would send my Carter to scoutpilot for a rebuild and let him put his expertise to use.  There are a lot of little "tricks" he and others have found to make these little carbs perform to their full potential....

Good luck!

Offline terryb

• Willys Fan
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 10:21:43 AM »
Thanks for all of your opinions on the two different carbs. and which you all think is the best route to go. if i do the rebuild it will probably be a next winter project.
Thanks again Guys !
terryb