The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Do diffs and TC really get water in them?  (Read 5132 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline F Bill

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1402
  • Karma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Do diffs and TC really get water in them?
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 08:02:40 AM »
Would it work to have the end of an extended vent line pointing down at the ground so it would tend to hold the water out just like if you were to hold an empty soda bottle upside down and dip it down into a tub of water?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 08:03:26 AM by F_Bill »
Owner of the world famous?? Pintojeep 3A and one yet to be named stock project 3A.
Based in central TX and upstate NY.

Offline Carls_jeep

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1746
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • ...
    • View Profile
Re: Do diffs and TC really get water in them?
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 11:36:23 AM »
What I did was to put a hose barb on the front axle cover and ran a hose up beside the radiator even with the fender. On the rear I drilled a hole, brazed half a 1/4" pipe coupler to the cover and brazed a cover over the hole so the oil could not exit the hole to the vent. Then I ran a hose up through the floor and clamped it to the inside of the rear fender behind the passenger seat.

I have not put raised vents on the tranny and transfer cases because I have not has the occasion to drive through water up to the floor boards. and hope I don't.

I welded the two axle vent holes in the axle housing BUT, I did not plug the two vent holes for the excess grease on the bottom of the axle housing where the axle bearings are. I keep it full of grease so little if any water could get in there.

If I do something with the tranny and transfer case vents I will use the check ball type vents.