The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: omix ada parts ( bearings/ gears) ?  (Read 4607 times)

Offline dat

• Flatfender Enthusiast
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
omix ada parts ( bearings/ gears) ?
« on: April 08, 2014, 12:53:37 PM »
I have seen a lot of mixed reviews on omix ada parts, but haven't seen much about their transmission parts.  my transmission is more rust and pits than gears and bearing surface. I was thinking about one of the full internal transmission parts kits from omix ada or a complete transmission from them.  has anybody had any experience with them on thay type of parts?
1950 cj3a, she was a swimmer and wears rust well

Offline johnrb3b

• SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • No such thing as too many Jeeps - well maybe
    • View Profile
    • Jeeps and stuff
Re: omix ada parts ( bearings/ gears) ?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 01:07:34 PM »
Talk to Walck's or Herm the Overdrive Guy.
They can tell you if their parts are domestic or overseas.
1946 2A - - - 1949 me - older than most of my Jeeps
1954 3B - - - 1957 Wagon - - - 2010 4-door JK
past Jeeps ---> '54 3B - no tub --- '59 3B - no engine
past addiction - VW ---> '69 bus --- '70 camper

Offline dat

• Flatfender Enthusiast
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 01:26:42 PM »
yeah,  I have ordered from them before, but forget about them.    thanks

Offline F Bill

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 02:00:59 PM »
I have seen a lot of mixed reviews on omix ada parts, but haven't seen much about their transmission parts.� my transmission is more rust and pits than gears and bearing surface. I was thinking about one of the full internal transmission parts kits from omix ada or a complete transmission from them.� has anybody had any experience with them on thay type of parts?

Scary stuff in my opinion. Nothing beats properly machined and hardened USA made NOS and Old stock replacement parts if you can find them. The OMIX stuff has a very bad reputation.

If you are looking for a fast solution go with a professionally rebuilt tranny from one of the known suppliers like Herm...
Owner of the world famous?? Pintojeep 3A and one yet to be named stock project 3A.
Based in central TX and upstate NY.

Offline dat

• Flatfender Enthusiast
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 04:01:02 PM »
 not looking for a fast solution, I figure I'll rebuild, just trying tyo decide on parts now, well and how to come up with the spare cash for parts

Offline PeterL

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 07:12:31 PM »
Dat,

I have the same question.  I have asked a bunch of people.   No one seems to like the Omix parts/gears.  When I ask why I am never given a specific reason.  I prefer data rather than analogies.  So, for clarity sake, can anyone describe specific problems they have had with Omix gears? 

Offline NoCoWillys

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 07:32:30 PM »
I had the same concern when I was looking at rebuilding my transmission.  I ended up going with Novak Adapters for my rebuild kit.  Everything I saw pointed me to them.  They have lots of NOS parts and put together a top notch kit.  Very reasonably priced.  From what I heard about the omix parts is that they are not machined as well, made with inferior quality metal and people find that parts don't fit well.  The main shaft I've been told by omix can easily be marked up (soft metal) unlike stock or NOS parts and will likely wear out very quick.  Check out novak: http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/transmission/transmission_parts/t90_parts.htm

I needed a new main shaft and they supplied that for me as well.  It was NOS.  8-)
'53 CJ3a

Offline dat

• Flatfender Enthusiast
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 09:45:46 AM »
I need the whole mess, gears, shafts, all,  my case in good though, that's the bright side I guess.   ;)

Offline NoCoWillys

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 09:51:38 AM »
I'd definitely give Novak a call and see what they would price it out for you at.  It's top quality stuff.
'53 CJ3a

Offline Carls_jeep

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 10:47:38 AM »
Here's my advice.

Do not buy transmission or transfer case parts made overseas, PERIOD. If you do, you WILL rebuild them again real soon. The parts are worthless and will fail soon if not immediately.

If you do a search of this site and the CJ2A site you will soon find out that anyone that uses overseas parts have rapid failures.

Buy only NOS parts or parts made in the USA. There are still NOS parts available on ebay and other sites and from the early Jeep dealers on this site.

Some are, Novak, DeBella are two. Search and call them are request NOS or USA made parts.

PLEASE don't buy overseas parts, unless you want a failure.

Offline PeterL

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 12:29:02 PM »
@ Carlsjeep -

What fails?� Are we talking sprocket failure, metal particle failure? Are they not fully hardened?� If so is the case hardening simply not deep enough?� Can the failure be attributed to a poor rebuild?� Telling me that something built overseas is junk does not explain why.� I am not trying to start an argument.� I just want to know the root cause of the failure.� I want to think beyond "it's junk" and understand what about it is poorly manufactured.

I rebuild many motors here in my shop that are manufactured in Asia.� I also rebuild items manufactured in the US.� I can tell you that failures rates are just about identical.� So I reiterate my original question- What fails on the gears?

Oh yeah, Novak does obtain parts through Crown.� Crown obtains items from overseas......I would like to entertain a guess that those parts are also coming from the pacific rim....

Offline Jesse

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 01:01:48 PM »
The metalurgy is not correct. There is a shade tree way of testing the hardness of the main shafts and whatnot. It goes something like putting a punch on the shaft and dropping a 2 pound hammer on it from such and so height. An original or well manufactured one will be hard enough to deflect the hit pretty much unscathed. Hitting the poorly made one drives the punch clean through the shaft and into...Australia I suppose.

-Jesse
Its a jeep thing, but you would understand if you have ever lost your wallet.

Offline Mike S

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 02:08:41 PM »
When I re-built my T90, I got the T90C input shaft and gear cluster from Herm.
Life is short
Quit your job
Turn off the TV
Go outside and play

Offline F Bill

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2014, 02:47:50 PM »
The shafts typically are way too soft..or are just plain old cold roll made to look like a hardened shaft.
The gears also have dimensional inaccuracies.
The synchros are known to have inaccurately made dogs that will not allow shifting to happen, or they act worn out upon assembly.

I have not really heard of anyone putting together a transmission with Crown or OMIX parts that lasted any length of time, and most are bad upon installation. It can be really frustrating.

Rick Stivers has a t-90 rebuild guide and some of this is explained in there..

Good parts are getting increasingly harder to find......ebay is actually a decent source for some, but you have to know what you are looking at.
Owner of the world famous?? Pintojeep 3A and one yet to be named stock project 3A.
Based in central TX and upstate NY.

Offline dat

• Flatfender Enthusiast
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2014, 03:18:55 PM »
Walcks just e mailed back, it is what they sell as a rebuild/ parts kit, they said they didn't have any trouble .

I probably would still be more comfortable finding parts here and there then getting a bearing kit.  hmmmm, what to do :-/

"We sold many of these kits with no problems. We don�t keep selling parts we have problems with.

I would sooner have a happy customer than have to ship stuff back and forth so we try to get the best parts available."