The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Steering help  (Read 6108 times)

Offline SteveZ

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Steering help
« on: February 20, 2014, 06:39:41 PM »
Alright, I know I'm being a PITA but you guys have been great helping me out and I will ask the experts here another question.

The PO replaced the steering wheel. A total bubba job too. I want to get it back to original. Other than the steering wheel itself what parts will I need to order?

Thank you so much!!!!

Photos:
Semper Fi

Offline F Bill

• Flatfender Master
    • View Profile
Re: Steering help
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 07:48:11 PM »
Wow, that is going to be pretty involved....Complete column assembly with the steering box, drag link, bellcrank bracket and bell crank assembly, and all the linkage, probably.  Might be more economical to stick with the GM setup and just add a vintage looking steering wheel from a hot rod supplier. Looks like you have a fairly well done Saginaw setup, which is a good upgrade for a driver jeep.
Owner of the world famous?? Pintojeep 3A and one yet to be named stock project 3A.
Based in central TX and upstate NY.

Offline garage gnome

• Flatfender Master
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 08:47:54 PM »
Yeah, like Bill said, you need a complete stock setup. Looks like a ton of work to convert it back.
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline SteveZ

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 09:06:31 PM »
Any idea on what vintage steering wheel I would need? What do I search for? The current one has so much slop in the wheel itself left, right, up & down it scares the hell out of me. Almost as if a bushing or something is missing in the column.
It is however a one finger turner and requires very little effort left to right.
Should I pull it and count splines and try to order from there? I'm really sorry for the questions but I've never even heard of Saginaw! He'll, I just thought the steering wheel itself was changed. That's how little I know.

Again, Thank you!
Semper Fi

Offline johnnybravo

• Willys Fan
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 10:07:49 PM »
Maybe buy a frame to get all the OE stuff if you want original jeep. Has you front cross member been cut?  A little bit of anything between that U-joint and frame could
lock your steering. Could you post pics of the rest of the steering system?
USAR Vet, Retired. MB, GPW, CJ2A, CJ3A, CJ3B, '47 WO 4x4 Trk, '47 WO 4X2 Wagon

Offline F Bill

• Flatfender Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 10:12:07 PM »
Yeah, I saw that space underneath the steering wheel, and thought you probably had a pretty sloppy column....It's just worn, and can be rebuilt. It is a fairly common problem, especially with the tilt columns...I'd start by Googling  GM steering column rebuild , and check out the hot rodding sites like the HAMB to see if anyone has done a how to on your particular column .  If you wanted a more vintage looking steering wheel, again, look for an aftermarket wheel to fit a 70's GM car... Are there any identifying makers marks on the column or wheel anywhere?

Take a few good pictures of the rest of the steering for us...make sure the box is mounted securely to the chassis, no cracks in the frame rail where it mounts.

I'm not a Saginaw steering expert, all mine are stock. However there are members here who have done the conversion.
Owner of the world famous?? Pintojeep 3A and one yet to be named stock project 3A.

Offline Mike S

• Willys Fan
  • CJ2A SN CJ2A114542
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 12:01:02 PM »
I have seen Saginaw conversions (if that is what you have) that utilized the stock steering column and steering wheel. This is done with a fitting on the firewall in the engine compartment that accepts and braces the stock column, but the stock column is cut and a CV joint and steering rod link the steering column to the saginaw box. Looks stock from the outside... with the exception of the Saginaw box hanging down in front. With this set up you could probably also get the stock horn button to work.

I suspect that you could do this without replace the entire steering system. With the set up in the photos, I suspect that you do NOT have the stock Ross steering box and drag link. So this might be the best option.
Life is short
Quit your job
Turn off the TV
Go outside and play

Offline athawk11

• SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 12:06:17 PM »
I just did what you are contemplating.

The hard to find stuff�

-The Ross steering box. (Try to find it with the triangular shim retainer bracket on top.)
-The inner worm gear shaft.

Not as hard to find�

-Outer column tube (There is a slight difference between the 2A and 3A)
-Outer tube clamp� (Holds the outer tube to the Ross box.
-Two part column to dash mounting brackets.

Easy reproduction stuff to find at all good vendors�

-Pitman Arm
-Bell Crank and hardware
-Ross Box rebuild kits
-Steering Wheel
-Horn button hardware
-Drag Link and rebuild hardware.

If the tie rods and tie rod ends are in need of replacement, these are also readily available.
If the bell crank mounting bracket was messed with, you should be able to find this too.

Tim

« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 12:07:24 PM by athawk11 »
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline SteveZ

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 02:49:14 PM »
Looks like too much work and expense to convert back to original.

From the looks of it I beleive it is a 70's era GMC column and wheel. 3/4" 36 spline.

Would the following Wheel work?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200353369_200353369

I know it needs rebuilt to get the play out but I'd like to eradicate that steering wheel as soon as I can.
Semper Fi

Offline Mike S

• Willys Fan
  • CJ2A SN CJ2A114542
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 06:54:03 PM »
Steve -- that tractor wheel on NorTool would certainly be in the spirit of an old Jeep... but you should determine the stop to stop turns before you go to a big (16" - 17") wheel. Might be too much leverage?

Life is short
Quit your job
Turn off the TV
Go outside and play

Offline F Bill

• Flatfender Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 07:26:59 PM »
I like the idea of a more original style column with a new coupler to fit what you have.. If you want to go really fancy, check out the Ididit line of custom steering columns, and you can get a column with a locking wheel, turn signals, four way flasher, etc built in.

Offline Lee

• Flatfender Enthusiast
  • Will-is enthousiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2014, 12:46:38 PM »
There is a company called (I think) flaming river that makes all of what you need for the hotrod industry, nothing wrong with what you have if it's cleaned up and tightened up. good luck with it!

Lee ;)
American Engineered Rolling History

Offline garage gnome

• Flatfender Master
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2014, 02:14:34 PM »
The easiest thing to do is find a column from a 72-75 CJ. It has the old look, but uses a saginaw box, so no fussing around with putting an end on the column. Thats what I use in my trail jeep.
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline SteveZ

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2014, 08:28:14 AM »
Here are some more pictures. Unable to identify what these wheel/column came out of to look for rebuild kits or wheel replacement.

Semper Fi

Offline SteveZ

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2014, 12:28:34 PM »
The horn cover part number comes up as a 74-75 GMC.

I am still unable to remove the wheel. What am I missing? I took the nut off but this collar seems to be holding it on?

More pics.
Semper Fi