The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Bendix or Spicer  (Read 2369 times)

Offline Tumbleweed

Bendix or Spicer
« on: November 11, 2013, 11:59:21 AM »
I had a look at the work athawk11 was doing in his axle and I am wondering at what point are the bendix shafts no longer acceptable. When I have all the balls in place the shaft does not fall apart but there does seem to be a considerable amount of play when completely assembled. By that I mean when you try and pull the assembled shaft sections apart.

I have a set of spicer axles shafts that I purchased just in case I have to replace both shafts (long and short).

I believe that I will also have to replace the old spindle bushings and possibly the axle bushing?

Thanks,

George
49 CJ3A - "Smokey"
53 Willys Wagon - "Wylie"

Offline Quebec Jeep

• SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • CJ-3A 1950
    • View Profile
Re: Bendix or Spicer
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 02:12:02 PM »
If you replace one axles shaft then you wil need to change the bushing as well.

You don't need to replace both in the same time as long as you keep the turning radius limit to the lowest. so you can have a benidx on one side and a spicer on the oher side.

Did you replace the lock pin?
I'm jeepcoholic!

Offline 1955CJ-5

• Flatfender Master
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 02:40:37 PM »
I am in the same position...I replaced the ball's on the bendix shafts but they really are kinda loose....I think I will get some Spicers before too long....

But, my spindles have the shouldered bushings..even though there was a bendix tag on the knuckle seals....
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline Tumbleweed

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 02:53:01 PM »
Yep replaced the locking pins but still a lot of play - I have both long and short spicer axle shafts and was planning on changing at the same time. I looked at my spindles last night and they will need to be replaced with new brass bushings with the shoulders. Any suggestions on the bushings in the axle itself? Can I just leave them in or do I need to pull them out? The bendix have a machined and finished surface that I presume rides on the brass bushing inside the axle - whereas the spices does not.

I really didn't think that the bendix should have so much in and out play.

49 CJ3A - "Smokey"

Offline athawk11

• SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 02:53:09 PM »
George,
With the balls and shafts in place, and retained by the spindles, (which I sometimes call 'shaft retainers') I have about 1/4" of play.  This is the same amount I have on the OD Willys.
I asked this question once, here or at the 2A while I was fixing the OD Willys.  I can't remember which site, but the responses gave me an assurance that this much play is acceptable.

This is just an FYI.  I am clearly no expert regarding these axles.

Tim
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline Quebec Jeep

• SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • CJ-3A 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 02:55:47 PM »
I have also about 1/4" of play.

Walck's carry the bushing if needed.
I'm jeepcoholic!

Offline Tumbleweed

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 03:00:45 PM »
I'll measure the play if no more than 1/4" I will consider that acceptable.

Thanks,

George

49 CJ3A - "Smokey"

Offline 1955CJ-5

• Flatfender Master
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 06:54:48 PM »
I was a little concerned about the rotational play...of course part of that will be in the differential.

With the hubs engaged and the transfer case in 2WD, I can rotate the front drive shaft about 30 degrees(or maybe a bit more) by hand.....

Maybe this isn't an issue, or maybe it indicates another problem?

Or maybe it's normal?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 06:55:46 PM by 1955CJ-5 »
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline Bob W

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 08:12:03 PM »
I had a look at the work athawk11 was doing in his axle and I am wondering at what point are the bendix shafts no longer acceptable. When I have all the balls in place the shaft does not fall apart but there does seem to be a considerable amount of play when completely assembled. By that I mean when you try and pull the assembled shaft sections apart.

If they don't fall apart they are probably good. Most early CJs have enough miles on them by now that the Bendix shafts will fall apart - but still work fine.
Bob W

Offline Bob W

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 08:13:45 PM »
But, my spindles have the shouldered bushings..even though there was a bendix tag on the knuckle seals....

Later Bendix shafts without the outer nut require the shouldered bushing.
Bob W

Offline Bob W

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 08:20:02 PM »
Yep replaced the locking pins but still a lot of play - I have both long and short spicer axle shafts and was planning on changing at the same time. I looked at my spindles last night and they will need to be replaced with new brass bushings with the shoulders. Any suggestions on the bushings in the axle itself? Can I just leave them in or do I need to pull them out? The bendix have a machined and finished surface that I presume rides on the brass bushing inside the axle - whereas the spices does not.

If your existing spindles don't have a machined surface for the shouldered bushing to seat against a shouldered bushing may not install to the correct depth. If the inner thrust washer doesn't restrict the Spicer shafts I think it could remain in place.
Bob W