The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: White smoke issues  (Read 2470 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline macrisel

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 639
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Always in the middle of a project
    • View Profile
White smoke issues
« on: January 01, 2013, 06:32:30 PM »
So after getting side tracked for almost a year (new baby) I finally got back to working on my jeep.  I was working on the bodywork and I had to move my chassis out of the way.  When I went to start the motor, I could barely get it started.  When I did finally get it, there was thick white smoke coming out of the exhaust that gradually went away.  I let it run for 10-15 minutes and it cleared up quite a bit, but it still smoked when I let off the throttle after reving it up for brief minute.  It has been stored in a heated garage and only started two or three times in the last year.

I know this sounds like a blown head gasket, but I can't really believe that since it has only been started 6-7 time since I rebuilt the motor, carb and ignition system three years ago.  The white smoke also has a heavy gas smell to it.

I'm probably overlooking something, but I'm a little aggrevated right now.  I'm only about two weeks from painting the body and now I might be back to working on the engine!  After I shut the motor off, I just walked back into the house.

Help!  :(

Offline Gunslinger

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 942
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Cj3a, M38A1,
    • View Profile
Re: White smoke issues
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 07:07:04 PM »
I'm not sure I'd go postal just yet Mac.  I think when they sit for a while they get a little ornery.  Fluids settle in the wrong places, any little weak spot in a gasket will leak and cause a puddle.  It could be some anti freeze in the exhaust, or maybe some leakage at the head gasket.  My advice is to put some time on it.  Go start it every day this week and let it run for a while each time.  I'm betting the Willys gods will smile on you Lin this new year.
Todd
Climbs trees, hides in the long grass, hangs out with wet dogs...

Offline Carls_jeep

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1746
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • ...
    • View Profile
Re: White smoke issues
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 01:11:11 PM »
I agree, the engine has not had a chance to get settled in yet. Wait until you have drove it for about 500 miles before you get to concerned about it. Sometimes it's hard to tell white smoke from the blue/white smoke from oil. It takes many miles before the engine will stop smoking after an overhaul.

Offline F Bill

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1402
  • Karma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: White smoke issues
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 01:39:15 PM »
I had a Datsun 1200 with a major oiling problem I rebuilt... It took almost a week before all the oil burned out of the exhaust and it ran clean after I rebuilt it and solved the issue that was causing it to dump all the oil in the intake.

It could be the same way with your jeep. Also condensation in the exhaust will build up if you don't run it long in cold weather...And sometimes pulling a head will dump antifreeze in places it doesn't belong. (Storing the jeep outside can get water in the exhaust too.)

So going postal might be a little premature...lol. ;D :D
Owner of the world famous?? Pintojeep 3A and one yet to be named stock project 3A.
Based in central TX and upstate NY.

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: White smoke issues
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 04:03:45 PM »
Mac,
Darn near every MAC DADDY 3A MASTER �chimed in, so hearing from a 3A misfit like myself won't give you much more comfort. �Being the eternal optimist that I am, I will simply say, I believe you're gonna be fine. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Even here in Colorado, we have moisture settle in to exhaust systems and oil pans. �I haven't been using the Willys much during the last few weeks, but I still start it and let it run a couple times a week. �It's the next best thing to driving it around town.

Tim
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: White smoke issues
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 06:09:56 PM »
It is normal for some white smoke to come out after firing up from sitting. My '53 has lots of it blow out when I start it up from a winter of sitting. It is just condensation in the exhaust.
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline p3ferris

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 249
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: White smoke issues
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 07:00:12 PM »
It is going to BLOW UP $10,000  overhaul head is warped the block needs plained  new rings  cylinders bored.

JUST KIDDING  I seem to agree with all of the above  run it a while   There have been others here with the same problemin the past and most were just a time factor

Offline macrisel

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 639
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Always in the middle of a project
    • View Profile
Re: White smoke issues
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 06:20:28 PM »
Thanks to everyone for chiming in on the subject! �I have been doing bodywork on it pretty steady for the past week and starting it everyday while I have been out in the shed. �

The first few days, it was almost impossible to get it started. �Late one night after jacking with it for an hour or so trying to get it to start, I decided to completely start back at the basics.....fire, fuel and timing. �I put in some new plugs I had on hand and verified I was getting fire at the sparkplug. �Then I went to check my gap at the points only to find my feeler gauges had been "borrowed" by a #@*# friend....three months ago �>:( �Luckily, I remembered an old friend of mine telling me they used to set the gap with a matchbook matchstick and that would be pretty close. �Oddly enough, I had a book of matches in the shop so that worked out for the time being. �I already knew I was getting plenty of fuel so that wasn't a concern and I even leaned out the idle screw a little to be on the safe side. �After all of that, I finally got it started again. �Still not satisfied, I decided to hook a timing light up while it was running out of fear of not getting it started again. �

WORD OF CAUTION TO NEWBIES..never assume that because these are only 6 volt systems they won't knock the s**t out of you! �:o �I finally dance around and get the light hooked up....only to realize how bright my shop is and how little light the timing light putts out on a 6 volt system....crap....balance everything and go kill the lights to see the marks. �After finding my timing mark, I find the issue. �Somehow, my timing had been advanced.....a lot. �I begin to visualize a scenerio that probably happened within the past year while I wasn't in the shop too much. �I'm pretty easy going when a friend or relative needs to borrow my shop and tools to get something fixed. �Just pick up after yourself and put the tools up when you are done and everyone is happy. �Somewhere along the line I can see someone looking at my jeep and accidently bumping the dist and then putting it back to "about" where it was..... :-?

Oh well, the end result is my jeep now starts a LOT better than it did and the white smoke, while still there, is getting better as I run it almost every day for 10-15 minutes. �I'm sure it will continue to improve when I get it back together and drive it some :)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 06:23:39 PM by macrisel »

Offline Gunslinger

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 942
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Cj3a, M38A1,
    • View Profile
Re: White smoke issues
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 04:15:43 PM »
 ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Climbs trees, hides in the long grass, hangs out with wet dogs...