The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Ignition switch  (Read 2031 times)

Offline Gunslinger

Ignition switch
« on: March 20, 2011, 09:53:03 AM »
I'm working on replacing my old wiring harness and have most of the stuff done, but I can't seem to figure out how to get the old ignition switch out.  Anybody have any tips?  Its a 3A, with the basic on off grounding switch.
Climbs trees, hides in the long grass, hangs out with wet dogs...

Offline p3ferris

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Ignition switch
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 04:58:14 PM »
Do you mean the switch for the key?  If so you turn the chrome ring counter clockwise on the face of the dash.  The switch then comes out from under the dash

Offline Gunslinger

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 10:40:22 PM »
Thats why I had a problem, I was trying to get it from the back, I'll give it a try, thanks

Offline mud pie

• Flatfender Enthusiast
  • Once a Marine....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 09:49:41 AM »
I hope you were smarter than I was....my wiring was so butchered up I cut every strand out and bought a new harness from Walcks (awesome product !!)....but I didn't label the switch where the original wiring went !  Now I gotta break out my meter and start ohming everything out..... :P :P
1953 CJ-3A

Offline jamesr

• Willys Guru
  • If it's not broke, it's not used.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 12:27:10 PM »
But it is so much fun!  Take out the seats and lay a matress down so it is more comfortable to work upside down.  I rewired mine when the tub was off, and the speedometer was out.  Working through the speedo dash hole, and the transfer case cover off and the tub on saw horses made it easier.  Jim
Home of the 4-wheel drive chicken coup.

Offline Gunslinger

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 12:00:20 PM »
I guess I'm a little old fashioned, or just slow.  I find a wire, chase it down from one end to the other and replace it, one at a time...makes the project last a little longer that way.  Its still about 30 degrees here and I've still got a bout a foot and half of snow in the yard so taking th ejeep to Dairy Queen is still a ways away . :'(