The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Toolbox in the engine compartment  (Read 510 times)

Offline Mike P

Toolbox in the engine compartment
« on: February 18, 2019, 09:08:58 PM »
Howdy,
When I go for a drive, I grab a bunch of tools and throw them in a plastic bucket so I have the basic resources should the need arise. It's a bit of a hassle and I'm not to keen on putting the tools under the passenger seat as that tool box floor is getting thin and it's not water tight.

I like the idea of ammo boxes as they are small and seal up nicely. I got an M2A1 (50 caliber) box and looked for a place to mount it. Jeeps are small so maximizing the space available is important to me. I found unused space in the engine compartment down low on the passenger side.

I figured I could replace the air cleaner/generator splash shield with the ammo box. I'd use the existing splash shield holes in the frame so no need to drill new ones. I used 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/8 angle iron scraps and made a frame to hold the ammo box. The back end is held in the frame with a footman loop tab. The front is held in by the small hole in the ammo box latch. It is a 1/2 inch hole so I threaded 1/2 inch rod, tapped the vertical tongue on the frame and double nutted it with a jamming nut. I filed down the rod so the ammo box latch closes easily over the rod. I made a rear diagonal brace and used the existing index hole in the frame below the two fender bolt holes. If I ever want to take it out, I can unbolt everything and easily replace the stock splash shield. Note in the photos, the passenger fender is removed...much easier for access!

1949 CJ3A

Offline athawk11

• SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Toolbox in the engine compartment
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 11:02:01 AM »
That's a pretty neat idea.� Thanks for sharing. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 11:02:51 AM by athawk11 »
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline mtnman37879

• Flatfender Enthusiast
  • Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 12:27:24 PM »
I like! So much so that I'm stealing your idea! Thanks.
People think I go out of my way to * them off.
Trust me, It's not out of my way at all.

Offline Mark W.

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 01:07:14 AM »
Interesting This "space" is where I intend to mount my Air compressor for my on board air system. Your ammo box tray looks a lot like my battery tray which I made huge to hold a series 31 1000amp battery. I even had to make the kick out in the inner fender 2.5" longer.
Chug A Lug

1948 CJ2A Tub and Title
1949 CJ3A Windshield
1957 CJ5� �Frame and Springs
134L T90 9.25" D18 D25 and D44 30 spline
11" Brakes, Saginaw Steering, 12V electrical
currently in a zillion pi

Offline Mike P

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 09:46:21 PM »
Thanks all,
One more detail: after I painted the frame, I put a thin layer of Permatex Ultra Black goop around the inside of the frame and let it completely dry. Then I put the ammo box in the frame. This helps to minimize metal-on-metal wear, makes a snug fit, and eliminates squeaks. Installed, the ammo box lid opens about 45 degrees before it hits the bottom of the air cleaner - just enough to rummage for a tool or two. But what I really like is the whole box can be simply lifted out and carried to where it is needed, without having to unstrap or unbolt any mountings.
1949 CJ3A