The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: D44 rear axle binding up?  (Read 1178 times)

Offline MikeB

• Willys Fan
  • Still Plays With Jeeps, when my wife lets me.
    • View Profile
D44 rear axle binding up?
« on: November 04, 2018, 02:10:58 PM »
One problem solved now a new one pops up. D44 single piece axles.

Got both the rear axles out, old bearings off and new timkin bearings and seals pressed on, both axles installed nicely with new 1/4� retainer plates.

Jeep is on axle stands, both t-case and gear box are in neutral. Both axles spin freely without brake drums or wheels on, both axles spin freely with both brake drums on, both axles spin freely with both brake drums on and only the passenger side wheel on. Neither axle spins freely with the drivers side wheel on.

If i back the wheel nuts off off on the drivers side both axles will spin, but they bind up when the drivers side (only the drivers side) wheel is tightened.

Best set I can figure is the drivers side axle is now sitting about 1/8� inwards from the previous bearing set, and the brake drum is binding either against the brake cover plate, or the outer lip of the brake shoes are binding against the drum face.

no idea how to fix this other than a spacer between the axle flange and the inside of the brake drum. Not sure if that�s the safest route.

Anyone ever have have to deal with something like this before?

Offline athawk11

• SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: D44 rear axle binding up?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 04:18:09 PM »
I've mentioned this before...

If you are not shimming the axle to maintain proper bearing preload, you're going to bind and chew up the bearings.  If your bearing cup faces are flush with the axle flange, you're set too tight.

Shimming the axle is NOT a bandaid.  It is not optional.  It's a requirement and a standard procedure shown in the service manual.

2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline MikeB

• Willys Fan
  • Still Plays With Jeeps, when my wife lets me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 04:34:55 PM »
If i was running a two piece axle shaft i would agree with you whole heartedly. But the only shims available for single piece axle are for the carrier bearings, but since I did not touch those they should not effect the main wheel bearing stance. I am now leaning more to one side of the  brake cylinder being seized causing the top half of the shoe to bind up on the drum.

going to remove the shoes on the weekend, if the axle spins freely then, then i will know in on the right track.

Offline athawk11

• SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 10:20:23 PM »
10-4 Mike.  I guess I'm not understanding what a single piece axle is...vs the standard Dana 44 offered on a 3A.

2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A