The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Steering box oil  (Read 1079 times)

Offline MikeS

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Steering box oil
« on: February 26, 2018, 04:18:42 PM »
Factory specs call for 80 wt gear oil. My question is what to use? I have 75/90 synthetic, 80/90, and 80/140. No one carries just 80 wt.

Mike.

Offline athawk11

• SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Steering box oil
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 05:08:56 PM »
Mike,
I would have used 140w, but I couldn't find it locally.   I mixed some real 80/90w with some real axle grease to make a runny goop that had enough sag to 'splash' around a bit. My mixture does not leak.

From my experience, 80/90 weight leaked.

2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline aboyandhisdog

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 06:22:53 PM »
I made the pudding like Hawk suggests, but I have also found a couple of other products which will work.  Lubriplate #1500 is a grease that flows and is good for steering knuckles and should also work in a steering box.  Alco "00" super lube is also an option and it is used in my Toro snowblower gearbox.  You are basically looking for a very thick oil or a very thin grease.
Tom

Offline Rus Curtis

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 11:01:22 PM »
The SM not only states using 80wt but also that it should meet MIL-L-2105B standards.  I looked a lot and what most everything that even had info on it seemed to suggest this was GL-4 equivalent. 

Mine originally had grease in it.  Therefore not only were the pins (Shaft and Lever) and cam gear worn, but the inner and outer bushings were worn also.  It came with a grease fitting in the fill hole.....   

When I pulled it to rebuild it, I suspected it might leak and it did.  but since the Shaft had a seal around it, the only thing left leaking was the Cover and Tube (that cap/tube the horn wire goes through).  I removed, cleaned and smeared some permatex around it and reassembled and it hasn't leaked since.

I used the Sta-Lube 85-90W that is GL-4 only (not GL -4/5 or -5!!) as I also am using it in the gearboxes and differentials (it is hypoid lube and yellow metal safe) so this is fewer types to buy/stock.
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline tow hook

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 02:16:35 PM »
the tight steer directions i have state 85w 140 pennzoil gl-5