The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Rear Spring Repair  (Read 2405 times)

Offline Gunslinger

Rear Spring Repair
« on: December 29, 2013, 02:12:03 PM »
Based on my earlier post about spring curvature and the lack of response I figured this would be a good topic to explore some more, and I found out quite a bit.� So here is the background:
About 5 years ago I was working on the suspension on the jeep, replaced the front springs with new and left the original rears in place.� However I had the typical Jeep lean to the driver side, about 1.5 inches.� Not able to afford the new springs at the time I found a set of 2 secondary springs at 4wheel parts in Salt Lake.� I installed one on the driver side, that eliminated the lean and its been good for 5 years, now this year the passenger side decided to lean, and it was down about 2 inches.� So I installed the other secondary that I had on the pass side.� Along the way I had to find new spring clamps as mine were shot and I wanted to know the details on the spring settings.� I bought the clamps at Husky Spring in Minneapolis, www.huskyspring.com.� They were very helpful and gave me copies of the Willys spring page from the Dayton spring catalog.� I'll get them to pascal so he can post in the right spot on the page.� But here is the detail.
Willys front springs for 2A and 3A-
8 leaf 3 1/4 inch free lift (no weight)
10 leaf 3 1/2 inch free lift
Rear Springs:
9 leaf 4 3/4
11 leaf 4 3/8
All measurements are from a straight edge running through the center of pivot points to the top of the bolt that holds the spring pack together.�

On my project I had about 2 inches of sag to remove and no post Christmas funds for new springs.� I pulled the spring pack and took it apart, removed the lower three leaves and replaced with the new secondary.

Here is a picture of the new clips, part number HC-1

This is the spring pack with the new secondary installed, one thing that did change is that the secondary reached the spring pack, the arch increased by 3/4 inch however there were no issues with lining up the shackles.

This is a picture of the new clamps, installation is easy, clamp the spring pack tight with both clamp halves installed, hammer the tabs in place.� Nice and tight however some adjustment and fiddling is needed to get them just right.
http://rs1089.pbsrc.com/albums/i356/banjo19/jeep9_zpscf084163.jpg~c100
So here is the jeep, level again.� This repair cost less the $100.00, its not a restoration, but I suspect there are a few of us out there that can use this option.� Husky also sells the complete spring pack for the jeeps, however the price they quoted me was quite a bit more than Walcks price so I chose to not mention it.

Hope that was a little help.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 02:38:39 PM by Gunslinger »
Climbs trees, hides in the long grass, hangs out with wet dogs...

Offline Lee

• Flatfender Enthusiast
  • Will-is enthousiast
    • View Profile
Re: Rear Spring Repair
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 08:53:38 PM »
Gunslinger, very interesting bit of info, thanks for posting.

Lee ;)
American Engineered Rolling History

Offline johnnybravo

Re: Rear Spring Repair
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 09:35:29 PM »
I have a parts jeep with that type of rebound clip, but most I have seen are different.� I have equipment down at this time so I cannot post a photo but I have photo posted on the cj2a page in "Wanted Section" under "SpringWraps".  I purchased from Pete DeBella's.� �
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 09:45:56 PM by johnnybravo »
USAR Vet, Retired. MB, MB is better, CJ2A, CJ3A, CJ3B, '47 WO 4x4 Trk, '47 WO 4X2 Wagon