The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Sanding the body  (Read 1836 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline trijjicon

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 81
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Sanding the body
« on: April 07, 2016, 02:46:23 PM »
I'm about ready to start doing some work myself on this Jeep. I want to at least try to sand down the body & "try" the body-filler stuff. I know it's an art but budget is budget. I have so much more I want to do to this rig. What tools will I need...what grit sandpaper & what else will I need to get this started? Thnx

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: Sanding the body
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 06:55:18 PM »
I bought a couple of those hard rubber-like sanding blocks. The one's I got are called Dura-Blocks..one 6" and one 12"..They had them at the automotive paint store...they also have the stick-on sanding strips. I think i started with 60 or 80 grit to work the filler down and eventually got to 400 or 600 for the final sanding.

A Random Orbital sander is a big help also.

If you are removing old paint and bondo wear a respirator and use a propane or MAP torch and a putty knife...heat will remove bondo and paint...

Keep an extinguisher nearby....

It is messy and smelly and smokey... be sure to get a good respirator...

Also there are rust and paint removal wheels for the 4 1/2" side grinders that are pretty effective, but they don't last to long...

Wear ear protection....along with the respirator!

If there is anyway you can swing it, I'd take it to a media blaster....I wish I had!

« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 06:58:39 PM by 1955CJ-5 »
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...