The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: How'd Your Willys Look on Day One??  (Read 52172 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline PaulS

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 271
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: How'd Your Willys Look on Day One??
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2013, 02:01:51 PM »
It's not the whole Jeep, but I think this sums it up nicely:



That is baling wire holding together the idler arm from a very-non-Jeep steering system. �So far I've left the power steering system that came with that in place, but all the other steering components between the PS system pitman arm to the original knuckles have been torn out and replaced with something that looks like it belongs in a Jeep--not a 49 Willys, but most later Jeeps.

Here's a shot of it loaded up and leaving the ranch near Merritt BC where it lived for 15 or so years before I bought it in '08.



-Paul

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: How'd Your Willys Look on Day One??
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2013, 01:02:16 PM »
That is certainly pretty bubbafied!
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline Macgraham

  • Flatfender Enthusiast
  • ***
  • Posts: 187
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: How'd Your Willys Look on Day One??
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2013, 11:38:51 AM »


This is the way I first saw my Jeep. I made a very big mistake by believing the add. and what the seller told me over the phone and especially not going to see the Jeep first hand. Hope this will help others who are Jeep shopping.

Now that was the downside. The good stuff far far outweighs the bad. I discovered this Jeep site and others, but this is home. Constantly meeting new folks and have made some good friends. Had tons of help and learned a whole lot about Jeeps. AND_____ 2 years after I bought it I have the kind of Jeep I wanted and I know every bolt in it. I will post pics of the finished Jeep as soon as I finish the hood. Really, you know they are never really finished. I drive it every day even without the hood.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 11:54:35 AM by Macgraham »

Offline corpsman

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 217
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: How'd Your Willys Look on Day One??
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2015, 09:45:57 PM »
I met mine back in about 2006.  $1500 was the purchase price.[reason]add text[/reason]
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 12:33:30 AM by corpsman »
1952 M38

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: How'd Your Willys Look on Day One??
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2015, 10:31:28 PM »
Corpsman,
Thank you for finding and reviving this thread.  It's been a couple years since we've added new stories from the 3A brethren.  I encourage everyone to share a photo and the history.

Tim
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: How'd Your Willys Look on Day One??
« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2015, 10:59:10 PM »
I figured I would add Whitey, a 3A, to this thread.  I found these two Willys for sale on Craiglist in late January, 2013.  It was a package deal.  $2,000.00 for both.  Whitey, named for obvious reasons, is the Willys in the front.  The black Willys is a 1946 CJ2A.

The PO had plans to pull the running engine from the 3A and install it in the 2A.  The 2A engine was seized.  I was able to free up the 2A engine and get it running.  So, I now had 2 more running Willys jeeps.  What to do? What to do?  The answer was obvious.  Fix them both up, of course.

Whitey is the current project that many of you have seen.  The 2A is sitting under a tarp in my back yard...waiting for its turn.  I start it once a month to make sure it doesn't seize up again. :)

Tim


2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline corpsman

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 217
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: How'd Your Willys Look on Day One??
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2015, 12:31:14 AM »
Quote
Corpsman,
Thank you for finding and reviving this thread.� It's been a couple years since we've added new stories from the 3A brethren.� I encourage everyone to share a photo and the history.

Tim
hey, you're very welcome.  I like to look back through old threads and posts when there's not much chatter on the forum.  I like to see all the pictures, and I like knowing the history of some of the forum member's jeeps.  I also like to contribute wherever I can to help keep others interested in the forum.
1952 M38

Offline corpsman

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 217
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: How'd Your Willys Look on Day One??
« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2015, 12:32:27 AM »
Quote
I figured I would add Whitey, a 3A, to this thread.  I found these two Willys for sale on Craiglist in late January, 2013.  It was a package deal.  $2,000.00 for both.
man, that looks like a great deal!  congrats!
1952 M38

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: How'd Your Willys Look on Day One??
« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2015, 05:47:38 AM »
Corpsman, whats the deal with the siren on the passenger fender? Do you still have it?
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline BMIC

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 406
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Weekend Mechanic
    • View Profile
Re: How'd Your Willys Look on Day One??
« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2015, 07:34:45 AM »
I first posted a picture of "RE" on page one of this topic back in 2012. I am still working on RE but she is just lacking the installation of the fuel tank and hood. To the trained eye RE will have many flaw's and be at best a cousin to a M38 but it has become a family and friend favorite. From the start I simply wanted to do a quality rebuild that my family could enjoy for another 65 years, and down deep reconnect in a way to the rich history these machines represent. Everything that was worn was replaced with new, the engine was completely rebuilt by a local shop that specializes in antique cars, and every bolt replaced with SS. Very few people besides the members reading this know of the enormous pride we have in these machines. My little Willy's 3A will enjoy the good life from here on out, in the garage at night and hopefully driven every day, RE has earned that.
We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out... WC

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: How'd Your Willys Look on Day One??
« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2015, 01:46:55 PM »
BMIC,
This really turned out nice.  Can you give us a little back story on the name?

Tim
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline corpsman

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 217
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: How'd Your Willys Look on Day One??
« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2015, 02:22:44 PM »
Quote
Corpsman, whats the deal with the siren on the passenger fender? Do you still have it?
the PO must have put that on.  he kind of painted it up to look like it was a military police jeep.  I do still have it, but I don't know if it works.  it had kind a proprietary bracket.  I've got that also.
1952 M38

Offline BMIC

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 406
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Weekend Mechanic
    • View Profile
Re: How'd Your Willys Look on Day One??
« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2015, 04:11:53 PM »
Quote
BMIC,
This really turned out nice.� Can you give us a little back story on the name?

Tim
RE-built  RE-paired  RE-painted RE-lined .... Goes on and on.
We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out... WC

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: How'd Your Willys Look on Day One??
« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2015, 04:12:46 PM »
BMIC - Your 3A really has turned out very nicely. Even from the couple times I've been able to "check-in"personally I know you have put a tremendous amount of effort into what will soon be a very fun little rig to drive. You should have a spare tire bracket to add to it by this time tomorrow  ;)
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline RICKG

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 265
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • I never met a mule i didn't like.
    • View Profile
Re: How'd Your Willys Look on Day One??
« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2015, 04:41:32 PM »
My brother ended his last tour of 'Nam in 1971 and it was darned good to have him back. That year there was a GSA auction at
the AANG base in the Papago Buttes south of PHX and he and I were flush w/cash, I think we had $800 bucks between us.
We brought home MC51986 that day. Over the years he and I built a lot of hotrods, classic P-U's and the like but MC51986 sat in the corner of the shop till he passed in 2009. There were all kinds of reasons not to tackle the M38 project- waterproof ign?? OMG!! 24V?? the HORROR!!�

Here it is in 2009 in my shop in Idaho almost 40years later
looking the same as when it was surplused.
And below is a memorial to my Bro.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 05:27:08 PM by MC51986 »
OD MULE MC51986