The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: CJ-3B 57348 69050  (Read 9032 times)

Offline Zach S

• Willys Fan
  • Trying to build a 3B!
    • View Profile
Re: CJ-3B 57348 69050
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2020, 12:49:02 PM »
Thanks for the comments everyone! Jeeps are an adventure.

With that being said, on to this morning's adventure. I attempted to take the 3B out for a drive and it had the same problems it had last Saturday. As soon as the engine started to go under load, it couldn't do it. At least I made it back to the shop again, also, I'm glad I've got the gopro mounted to the window.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMcfzkX7dbI

It was warmed up, the temp was sitting at around 150ish and had been running for about 15 minutes before I tried to take it out. I did managed to back it out of the shop and turn it around, I didn't have any issues then. About 1:34 in, it started making a new noise, almost like something squeaking inside the engine. You can hear it when I start rolling backwards. I'm not sure if I spun a bearing or something like that. It also sounds really weird when I revved it near the end. The carb and fuel pump seem to be fine, it's got fuel in the float bowl, the accelerator pump also squirts like it should. It does have new gas in it, I put about 5 gallons in it last Saturday.

So, my plan for later today and tomorrow is to replace the condenser. I've already replaced the coil and that kind of helped. I'm also going to change the oil, it smells like gas, so I'm pretty sure I've been flooding it. Maybe I'll go for a drive tomorrow, who knows!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 12:53:26 PM by Zach S »

Offline Zach S

• Willys Fan
  • Trying to build a 3B!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2020, 03:16:17 PM »
It's been a long day in the shop, but we've sorted out the ignition issues! We started by replacing the points and condenser, which didn't really help that much. Then we decided to take a look at the spark plugs. 1 & 4 were fouled and not firing, so all 4 were replaced and it's better than it was.

I also took the chance to do a quicky oil change, the old stuff smelled like gas.

If the weather is nice tomorrow, I'll take it out.

Offline Rus Curtis

• Willys Guru
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2020, 06:08:24 PM »
Zach,
IF your oil smells like gas, suspect the fuel pump.  Now that you've changed the oil, drive and then repeat the sniff test (on the dip stick)  If you can keep it running a check afterwards could show the oil level will be higher and consistency will be thinner - with the smell).  If that is your case, the diaphragm may have sprung a leak and the pump is dumping fuel into your oil pan.

I will also add that it's real nice you have a quiet road to test on!  Pull out of my neighborhood and you better be going!  I've used my starter to push before too.

It never hurts to check things twice.  IF you fouled out two plugs, check them again.  Your wires may be at fault.
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline Zach S

• Willys Fan
  • Trying to build a 3B!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2020, 09:46:42 AM »
Hey folks! I had a big weekend. First off, got the electrical problems sorted out. I ended up taking a little wire wheel on the end of my dermal and cleaning all of the crud out of the connections. That sorted out the random miss and all of the other problems I've had with the jeep so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87GNPgIKrxU

Sunday morning was so much fun, I did encounter another problem. The front brakes decided to lock up after about 20 miles, they got so hot that I once I parked the jeep in Cove Creek, it wouldn't roll anymore. I managed to get it home (I wish I filmed this part, it was epic) and took the front brakes apart. The grease wasn't burnt, but the hub seal had somewhat melted. The bearings looked good and everything else was fine inside the hubs. I'm going to put things back together and readjust the brakes. I'm sure I had them too tight after the last time I adjusted them.

Rus, I'm going to check the oil when I swing by the shop this afternoon and see if there's any gas smell to it. I'll keep ya updated.

Offline Bob W

• Flatfender Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2020, 08:24:45 PM »
Check to be sure the master cylinder push rod is not adjusted too tight. There should be a small amount of end play when the pedal is released. Also check for a restricted brake hose to the front axle.
Bob W

Offline Squishymonster

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2020, 11:02:58 PM »
Great ride video! Keep them coming.

Do you worry at all about breaking down far from home? Whats your plan B?

I captured a windshield video on Sunday afternoon, I'll get it posted tomorrow. Some part of my gearing is obnoxiously loud though so its not that enjoyable yet. I might end up doing a tcase rebuild soon. Plus I have more fluid leaks than I like.

Offline SteveKfl

• Willys Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2020, 08:46:22 AM »
Yea nice video ride, and authenticated by the driver's reflection.  As a South Florida city slicker, I wish I could smell the fresh air along with the views.  Thanks for sharing.  A question of a Plan B was asked.  Mine is a "2X2 tube with trailer Ball latch" Tow Bar tucked in the inside of my frame that if needed I can slip it into the "front receiver" that I use for a "bike rack" (or whatever you may want like maybe a winch)  and then anybody with a 1-7/8" hitch ball and 'willing to give me a tow' is quick and easy.  No chain or rope for slack issues, just a straight bar between the two vehicles.  I also have Eye Bolts on the backing plates for springs to "center the wheels", and turnbuckles to "limit" the side track, to secure the front steering, and then I can tow it myself without front wheel lock up to the side and drag, when I hit a bump or turn.  I learned about that problem with a "light vehicle in tow" when I was bringing it home after purchase with a 3 point "U-Haul bolt-on Tow Bar".  So far I have used my setup twice to take the Jeep to a shop 18 miles away and back with no issues in crazy Floridian US-1 drivers.  Just my idea for a Plan B.   
My Concept Roadster
62 DJ3A Dispatcher Half Top

Offline Squishymonster

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2020, 11:41:32 AM »
re: Plan B, I was thinking about putting a receiver on the back bumper for a bike rack :D And putting tow-bar mounts on the new front bumper. Ride the bike home, get the daily driver, and go out to retrieve.

I bring my wife and 16mo for short Sunday rides but I'm not venturing more than 5 miles out in case something breaks. But if I can stick both of our bikes on the back we will be in good shape. My bike has a kid-seat on it already so instant emergency escape-pods with a bit of unplanned cardio. :D

Offline Zach S

• Willys Fan
  • Trying to build a 3B!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2020, 09:10:40 AM »
Also check for a restricted brake hose to the front axle.

Oh, there is a restriction. We crushed part of the front brake line when we put the engine back in the jeep.

Offline Rus Curtis

• Willys Guru
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2020, 11:01:02 AM »
I thought I'd posted a comment but I'll add a paraphrased duplicate. 

Epic ride along!  I really enjoyed it!

When you described the front brakes locking the first thing I went to is wheel cylinders.  Then I thought of moisture in the lines expanding from all that velocity and tire barking......

A blocked line could very much be a factor. 

Very nice landscape for jeep riding!  How fast did you get up to while cruising?

My plan B is still in the works, but I'm hoping to have my flat bed configured with a winch for retrieval.  That would still require a phone call to beg for a ride back home to get it.  The bike idea is what I did in college; threw the bike in the back and peddled around campus until time to go home - it was there but never needed. 
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline Chris P

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2020, 06:30:08 PM »
With those nice drives you will quickly gain confidence and enjoy her double. I hope I am soon at that stage too.
Keep sharing!
Chris

1943 Ford G.P.W (located in Argentina)
1944 Willys MB (located in Argentina)
1948 Willys CJ2A (located in Mexico)
1956 Willys CJ3B (located in Mexico)
New: 1957 Willys CJ5 (located in Mexico)