The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: CJ-3B 57348 69050  (Read 2143 times)

Offline Zach S

• Willys Fan
  • Trying to build a 3B!
    • View Profile
Re: CJ-3B 57348 69050
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2020, 12:49:02 PM »
Thanks for the comments everyone! Jeeps are an adventure.

With that being said, on to this morning's adventure. I attempted to take the 3B out for a drive and it had the same problems it had last Saturday. As soon as the engine started to go under load, it couldn't do it. At least I made it back to the shop again, also, I'm glad I've got the gopro mounted to the window.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMcfzkX7dbI

It was warmed up, the temp was sitting at around 150ish and had been running for about 15 minutes before I tried to take it out. I did managed to back it out of the shop and turn it around, I didn't have any issues then. About 1:34 in, it started making a new noise, almost like something squeaking inside the engine. You can hear it when I start rolling backwards. I'm not sure if I spun a bearing or something like that. It also sounds really weird when I revved it near the end. The carb and fuel pump seem to be fine, it's got fuel in the float bowl, the accelerator pump also squirts like it should. It does have new gas in it, I put about 5 gallons in it last Saturday.

So, my plan for later today and tomorrow is to replace the condenser. I've already replaced the coil and that kind of helped. I'm also going to change the oil, it smells like gas, so I'm pretty sure I've been flooding it. Maybe I'll go for a drive tomorrow, who knows!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 12:53:26 PM by Zach S »

Offline Zach S

• Willys Fan
  • Trying to build a 3B!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Yesterday at 03:16:17 PM »
It's been a long day in the shop, but we've sorted out the ignition issues! We started by replacing the points and condenser, which didn't really help that much. Then we decided to take a look at the spark plugs. 1 & 4 were fouled and not firing, so all 4 were replaced and it's better than it was.

I also took the chance to do a quicky oil change, the old stuff smelled like gas.

If the weather is nice tomorrow, I'll take it out.

Offline Rus Curtis

« Reply #47 on: Yesterday at 06:08:24 PM »
Zach,
IF your oil smells like gas, suspect the fuel pump.  Now that you've changed the oil, drive and then repeat the sniff test (on the dip stick)  If you can keep it running a check afterwards could show the oil level will be higher and consistency will be thinner - with the smell).  If that is your case, the diaphragm may have sprung a leak and the pump is dumping fuel into your oil pan.

I will also add that it's real nice you have a quiet road to test on!  Pull out of my neighborhood and you better be going!  I've used my starter to push before too.

It never hurts to check things twice.  IF you fouled out two plugs, check them again.  Your wires may be at fault.
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C