The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Ross steering box issue..  (Read 2635 times)

Offline 1955CJ-5

• Flatfender Master
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Ross steering box issue..
« on: July 13, 2014, 08:48:25 PM »
This is a CJ-5 box but it is nearly the same....

The steering is pretty stiff...difficult to turn. Compared to the 3a this feels like a power steering car with the engine off...stiff, yet the slop is still there...I replaced everything but the worm and bearings so I ordered the parts and they arrived yesterday...

The problem is the new races for the worm support bearings will not fit through the opening in the box casting.....they are about .003" too large....one of the old races is shot, but the other may be usable...

The races are hardened steel so I doubt that I can change the diameter with hand tools....

Any ideas?

Similar experience?

I'm calling Carl in the morning.....
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline 1955CJ-5

• Flatfender Master
    • View Profile
Re: Ross steering box issue..
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 11:44:49 PM »
I got it....

I was using the bench grinder wire wheel on the races but that was being too "nice"....so I squared up the side with the stone and went for it...a little at a time, many trial fits, but now everything is good. Snug, but they fit....

Bushings are in and honed with a brake master cylinder hone...

I should be good to go.....

If they can make parts that nearly fit, why can't they make parts that actually do fit?
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline 1955CJ-5

• Flatfender Master
    • View Profile
Re: Ross steering box issue..
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 10:41:06 AM »
The steering is much better than before. Not quite as heavy and the slop is minimal. It has a consistent "feel" throughout the turning range....no more of that tightening up as you approach one lock or the other...

All the parts including the worm shaft were from Walck's.

Besides the bearing race fit the only other fit problem was getting the steering wheel back on, it was very tight.....I put anti-seize on the splines so i hope it'll come off in one piece next time!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 10:47:42 AM by 1955CJ-5 »