The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: 50 CJ3A "Nuthin' Fancy"  (Read 43562 times)

Offline squidtone

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: 50 CJ3A "Nuthin' Fancy"
« Reply #150 on: June 07, 2019, 04:04:29 PM »
Hi Brad,
Sorry I didn't notice your post....(actually I was out of town when you posted).
The wee red light is my "idiot" light for the 3 wire alternator. I may move it to the hole in the dash where the governor handle should go because someone long ago punched out the slug that was there. However, I can't for the life of me find a small incandescent light socket to fit in there. Nobody sells tiny incandescent lamp assemblies anymore. They're all LED which won't work for the alternator field. I refuse to drill the hole bigger to fit that big lamp. So for now, the lamp sits on a little tab in the crook of the steering column mount.
Dave Miles
Presently: � � � � � � � �
03 Rubicon,
50 CJ3A
Past:
01 XJ Cherokee,
87 XJ Cherokee,
85 XJ Cherokee,
83 CJ8,
81 CJ7

Offline squidtone

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 02, 2019, 01:20:50 PM »
Wow it's September of 2019!
I believe I have crossed the fuzzy line where I can say I'm finished. Of course that is never really true, but I've driven my wee little CJ3A for a couple months and I have ironed out all the bugs to where I can hop into it and take a drive with no worries. Here's some details of my fiddling over the past couple months.

Starter. This wasn't really a big problem, but I stumbled upon a replacement candidate, and it worked out well. I had an autolite 6V starter unit that did work, but I had to baby it to get it to mesh with my flywheel. This involved me modifying the set up by putting a key switch in series with the button switch on top of the starter. This allowed me to mesh the starter pinion (with the foot pushrod of course) with no electrical power, then apply power by turning the key. But it was tricky to coordinate the sequence. So I found a 20 dollar swap meet aftermarket Ford small block Denso type starter and adapted it to my Go Devil. I made up my own aluminum adapter (I have an ancient CNC machine) and sourced a 9 tooth pinion to make it work. I use a standard key switch on the dash with a ford solenoid under the hood. (The crummy NAPA solenoid is malfuntioning hence the disconnected "I" terminal of the harness...it stays "hot" even when the ignition switch is off. I have to investigate) I do miss the floor starter switch, but it's so darn convenient to have key start. It works perfectly....I don't think I can go back!
Dave Miles
03 Rubicon,
50 CJ3A
Past:
01 XJ Cherokee,
87 XJ Cherokee,
85 XJ Cherokee,
83 CJ8,
81 CJ7

Offline squidtone

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 02, 2019, 01:25:11 PM »
Low oil pressure. After long drives I found I had almost zero oil pressure at idle. This engine still has it's original bores and maybe even original bearings and rings. I think it is an industrial type engine due to the strange springs on the intake valves under the "tulip" head. Anyway, I do NOT want to rebuild this thing. It runs great, has good power, and low smoke. I run 10-40 weigh oil which some say is not the best idea. I will probably change to 15-40 Motorcraft diesel type oil (as recommended by a nerd friend who did copious research on this) for zinc content as well as slightly higher viscosity (all good things for old loose motors).
I still wanted to improve my low oil pressure and I can't help but tinker so I pulled the oil pan and timing cover off in order to get to the timing gear oil jet. (As often happens I encountered a problem: I couldn't loosen the pulley nut...it took a week of head scratching and it escalated into cutting the nut off....the job went well after that) I found the timing gear jet had a 0.070" hole which Willys specified in the early years. Sometime in the mid 1950's Willys stated that this large oil jet output would possibly reduce oil pressure at some bearing surface areas, and recommended a jet size change to 0.040" for all engines. My solution was to drill and tap the part for an 8-32 set *, mill it flat and stake it, then drill a 0.035" jet hole. I cleaned up the pan, oil pickup and painted up all the parts so things look a little better under there. Result was actually a little bit more oil pressure at hot idle speed...about 3 or 4 PSI. That's good enough for me. I think thicker oil will put me over 5 PSI. I'm not in a rush.
Dave Miles
03 Rubicon,
50 CJ3A
Past:
01 XJ Cherokee,
87 XJ Cherokee,
85 XJ Cherokee,
83 CJ8,
81 CJ7

Offline squidtone

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 02, 2019, 01:26:14 PM »
Hot engine fuel flooding. I found after being fully warmed up the Jeep would be difficult to restart. It required a long crank with the pedal to the floor and it would cough and smoke black for a minute until it cleared up. Then it ran fine. I noticed the fuel pressure would rise to over 5 PSI after a hot shut off. I have the fuel pressure regulator set for 1.5 PSI and SOLEX carbs can't handle much higher pressure than that. This is a "dead head" fuel system and the fuel had nowhere to go after a shut off, and with heat it would expand and pressure would go up and I presume fuel would get by the needle and seat and flooding would occur. I solved the problem by putting in a fuel line bypass; essentially the addition of a fuel line from near the carburetor input, through a 0.032" orifice and back to the fuel tank. It bleeds off all pressure when the engine (fuel pump) is off. It worked perfectly and gave me a chance to re do all my vacuum lines and put in a new fuel line too. The bypass is still rubber so I may update that sometime soon to metal line.
Dave Miles
03 Rubicon,
50 CJ3A
Past:
01 XJ Cherokee,
87 XJ Cherokee,
85 XJ Cherokee,
83 CJ8,
81 CJ7

Offline squidtone

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 02, 2019, 01:29:28 PM »
After these repairs and tweeks, I've been enjoying the heck out of this old Willys. I've never been in, or driven any other Willys Jeep so I have nothing to compare my experiences with, but as far as this little Jeep goes, the engine power is not too bad. It can pull hills alright. And off the line, it's fun!. I have hit almost 50mph for some stretches and it just hums along with more pedal available, but I don't want to push it. It tracks very nicely and there are no vibes even despite no wheel balancing. There are no clunks or noises either. It's a neat little machine. It is definitely happiest at 35mph. I've gotten braver about driving it on bigger and faster roads, and I even made a 60 mile round trip to work this week to show it off to some coworkers. I had a blast darting around commuter traffic. It definitely gets way more attention than my convertible GTO. Folks love old Jeeps.

So I'll include a few shots of my Jeep as it stands now, and I'd like to say THANKYOU to all the folks on the CJ3A forum who have helped me along the way. I appreciate all who contribute here!

I'll post up some more detail pictures when the weather is better....
Dave Miles
03 Rubicon,
50 CJ3A
Past:
01 XJ Cherokee,
87 XJ Cherokee,
85 XJ Cherokee,
83 CJ8,
81 CJ7

Offline SteveKfl

My Concept Roadster
62 DJ3A Dispatcher Half Top

Offline squidtone

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 02, 2019, 05:30:16 PM »
Ha YES that would work. Looks like an antique! I've got my Radio Shack lamp in there now....Radio shack (online) carries at least one incandescent!
Dave Miles
03 Rubicon,
50 CJ3A
Past:
01 XJ Cherokee,
87 XJ Cherokee,
85 XJ Cherokee,
83 CJ8,
81 CJ7

Offline JeepFever

• Willys Guru
  • '2A trail/work - '3A project
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 08, 2019, 11:01:26 PM »
WOW!  . . . the end result on "Nuthin' Fancy" looks REALLY fancy.   :D

I have been away from '3A page for a while,  busy with life, and my '2A (Wilson),  but started spending some time recently working on Hoover,  and checking out the page.

I feel a kindred spirit with your project because ours have such similar beginnings.  Our '3A's could be twins to start out. . .    Hoover will not look nearly as refined though in the end.  My goal is for it to look like a survivor,  flat paint, dents and all.

Enough about mine . .   I skimmed thru your entire thread,  and I am impressed with the workmanship.   I hope to go back soon to study in more detail

VERY NICE !! 

Offline squidtone

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 09, 2019, 10:28:15 PM »
JeepFever,
Thanks for the comments! It's hard to believe it's 2019. It is amazing how similar our Jeeps looked when we started our threads.
For me, it was fun to fix up a really cool old Jeep that I just don't see around here very often. I ended up going for a stock looking resto because I like that the best. But I did keep the dinged up tail gate and wheel well tops! I like the "patina", and I'm proud I saved big sections of the tub. Good luck on "Hoover"!
Dave
Dave Miles
03 Rubicon,
50 CJ3A
Past:
01 XJ Cherokee,
87 XJ Cherokee,
85 XJ Cherokee,
83 CJ8,
81 CJ7