The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: 1950 cj-3a restoration mostly stock with kubota  (Read 37550 times)

Offline corpsman

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: 1950 cj-3a restoration mostly stock with kubota
« Reply #75 on: October 01, 2015, 10:20:25 PM »
well...  I finally made it back.  I took a long hiatus from the jeep.  mainly because it's so hot down here in the summer, it's nearly impossible to work in the shop without AC.  also, it's good to have a break every now and then.  well...  good and bad.  unfortunately, you get out of your groove and forget how everything goes back together.   :-/  anyway, I got out in the shop for a little while this evening and welded a little on the frame.  I still haven't primed it, but to my surprise, there are only a few little rust spots on it, and I can easily get rid of them with the wire wheel.  so, doing that and priming will be my next task.  not sure when i'll be able to do it.  we went about 2 weeks without a drop of rain here, and now it hasn't stopped raining in a week or more.  so, once I accomplish something meaningful, i'll post an update.

I'm still alive, guys!� I've just been swamped at work.� will give an update whenever it occurs! :-/

What happened??� �:o
1950 cj-3a (currently under full restoration)

Offline corpsman

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 23, 2015, 07:35:59 PM »
well...� finally something to update.� I primed and painted the frame today.� it went well, but it took a lot longer than I expected.� I used a 2 part epoxy primer that is supposed to be some really tough stuff, and it sprayed great and laid down really well.� I'm really pleased with the primer, even though it was pretty pricey.� as far as paint, I went with a single stage black with a satin finish.� It looks glossy in the pics because it was still wet.� it will take a day or 2, but the gloss will come out, and it will look nice.� I've used it before.� I was originally going to paint the jeep od green, but I have since changed my mind.� I just see too many of those, and I guess it just gets old.� I think I'm going to do a medium dark blue, (not as dark as navy) and I'm going to paint the wheels orange. (pretty close to a florida gators orange)� anyway, that's why I painted the frame black.� whatever the case, it feels good to accomplish something on it for a change.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 07:37:29 PM by corpsman »

Offline corpsman

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 21, 2016, 12:05:24 AM »
been wanting to get back on the project lately.  I need to start ordering the parts for the rear end.  it might take me a while to get all the parts.  I'm having to save money for some trips me and the wife will be taking in the somewhat near future.

Offline Kirkski

• Flatfender Master
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 21, 2016, 06:01:29 AM »
Looks great, funny how these things take a back seat when life gets in the way. I know the feeling...
'52 CJ-3A