The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: I want to check and make sure ring gear fastening is ok  (Read 1824 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline squidtone

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 348
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
I want to check and make sure ring gear fastening is ok
« on: April 06, 2023, 01:12:17 PM »
Hi there,
During my refurb a few years ago, I did some cleaning and seal replacement for my Dana 41 axle, but I did not check any of the ring gear bolts. Since then I've learned about ring gear bolts not staying in place, and indeed it looks like my front Dana 25 had some of those bolts come out in the past, and it destroyed things. The Dana 41 is runs great and is quiet, so I think it would be prudent to keep it that way by servicing these (sometimes) infamously loosening bolts.

I'm thinking of taking ring gear bolts out, cleaning them, and then reinstalling with some sort of loctite.
I'm thinking of not bothering with new retaining tabs.
Unless I get votes to reinstall new bending tabs?
I would like to use a removable type Loctite. I don't want the "red" stuff which requires heat.

What do you think?

Dave
Dave Miles
Presently: � � � � � � � �
03 Rubicon,
50 CJ3A
Past:
01 XJ Cherokee,
87 XJ Cherokee,
85 XJ Cherokee,
83 CJ8,
81 CJ7

Offline oldtime

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 234
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: I want to check and make sure ring gear fastening is ok
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2023, 02:30:10 PM »
If lock tabs are in place and bolts don’t wiggle I would leave them alone.
As they say if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

Offline Rus Curtis

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 340
  • Karma: +6/-1
  • Retired
    • View Profile
Re: I want to check and make sure ring gear fastening is ok
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2023, 03:32:35 PM »
If lock tabs are in place and bolts don’t wiggle I would leave them alone.
As they say if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

squidtone,
This question made me go and research a bit.  I had a horror story about my D41 (came with the 3B when bought).  Initially, I was going to see about taking out the slop.  After one shop really messed it up (even told me I needed a new differential), I went full tear-down and fixed it - including full differential rebuild (which is where all the slop was).

This was my first axle so I replaced all the broken/missing tabs.  I'd never heard of using threadlock before. It seems that's a thing.

I tend to lean with Ken that if it's in good shape and working, leave what you have.  I think the tabs will work just fine new.  I've read that they can weaken and break off, if reused (we are talking about a 70 yr old vehicle here!).  If some tabs are broken or missing, then go for the threadlock.  I'd pick one and have all the bolts be secured the same.  Just make sure what you choose will hold with oil/grease as the bolts will be constantly bathed in lube.
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline squidtone

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 348
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: I want to check and make sure ring gear fastening is ok
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2023, 08:53:56 AM »
Thanks for the replies.
I did some looking on the 'net and see metalshaper has opinions on this topic.
He mentions some fasteners in the 40's and 50's were not great (at least some that Willys used) and I can attest that the fasteners used on Allis Chalmers tractors from that era were pretty bad. I encountered many original fasteners that would not hold torque due to stretching.

I will open it up in a few weeks and see what's there. If all is tight I may just leave it alone. Otherwise I'll probably fiddle with it. I've owned old cars and all my life and all suffered from neglected rear axles...I want to be proactive in keeping this one tight and quiet. Can't help it, it's in my nature!
Dave Miles
Presently: � � � � � � � �
03 Rubicon,
50 CJ3A
Past:
01 XJ Cherokee,
87 XJ Cherokee,
85 XJ Cherokee,
83 CJ8,
81 CJ7