The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Exterior Rear view Mirror?  (Read 3580 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Exterior Rear view Mirror?
« on: November 14, 2014, 09:45:19 PM »
I have added a top (enclosure) to my jeep and I find that the visibility out the right rear is nearly non-existent.

Has anyone added a rear view mirror to the right side? Do you have pictures?

I'd like to stay as original-looking as possible..

Thanks!
Randy
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Online scoutpilot

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 291
  • Karma: +6/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Exterior Rear view Mirror?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 05:15:18 AM »
[size=12]So, you're planning on passing someone on the road? ;) I've seen pax side mirror done before. Done it myself. If you think you'll be safer with it on, do it. Match up the hardware and it looks like it's been there forever. No points off. BTW, good looking top. I'm jealous.[/size][/b]
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 05:16:16 AM by scoutpilot »
Old fashioned service never goes out of style.
http: // www.oldjeepcarbs.freeforums.net

Offline Bob W

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2309
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Exterior Rear view Mirror?
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 06:28:16 AM »
I like the idea of using the same drivers side hardware on the passenger side. I think there is a doubler inside the body for the factory mirror, to add strength. A larger diameter mirror head might be a good idea too - for both sides.
Bob W

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Exterior Rear view Mirror?
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 05:29:33 PM »
I've often considered adding a passenger side mirror.� But only after putting on the winter top. ;)

I bought the Walcks mirror kit for Whitey.� It's a very nice reproduction.�

Tim
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: Exterior Rear view Mirror?
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 07:37:23 PM »
Thanks for the input everyone......

And Tim it's good to know the Walck's repro is a quality copy..that it the one I've been looking at....

And Scoutpilot, I pass people all the time, but they are usually going the other way...

Really though, changing lanes is a bit of a challenge, along with just backing out of the driveway..

Of course it would be just one more thing that could get knocked off..... :'(
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Exterior Rear view Mirror?
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 07:17:30 AM »
Quote
Of course it would be just one more thing that could get knocked off....

I bet if passenger side mirrors were factory standard it would have saved a lot of spare tires. You hear that hit something and you know it's time for immediate evasive action or your spare is next� ;D

Sort of like a "curb feeler"...but for trees and pedestrians  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 07:19:28 AM by Ryan_M »
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline Tumbleweed

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 516
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • 49 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Exterior Rear view Mirror?
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 12:01:19 PM »
Randy,

Where did you get your top from? Did you not get the doors yet?

George
49 CJ3A - "Smokey"
53 Willys Wagon - "Wylie"

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: Exterior Rear view Mirror?
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 12:40:08 PM »
Hi George,

I got the top from Beachwood Canvas, and also the doors and the door frames.

The doors are on the UPS truck and will be delivered today!

I got the top frame and door sockets etc from Walck's...

Randy
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline Tumbleweed

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 516
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • 49 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Exterior Rear view Mirror?
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 03:49:05 PM »
That really looks great and looks like it is such a nice fit.

Thanks,

George
49 CJ3A - "Smokey"
53 Willys Wagon - "Wylie"