The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Engine timing marks...  (Read 7540 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Engine timing marks...
« on: July 03, 2013, 03:02:28 PM »
I've read a number of comments about how difficult it is to see the flywheel timing marks...

This front pulley already had a notch cut in it, so when I saw these on ebay I just had to have one...It's really for an M-38...but it seems like a reasonable add-on...and will allow for timing with a timing light...

« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 03:03:13 PM by 1955CJ-5 »
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline Bob W

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2309
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Engine timing marks...
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 09:24:13 PM »
The M-38 crank pulley was a different diameter than the Civilian Jeep so those pointers are kinda far away.
Bob W

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: Engine timing marks...
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 09:32:22 PM »
I'll see when I get it mounted...I could bend the pointers down a little....I will set TDC via the flywheel at first, then use this as a relative adjustment..
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline Bob W

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2309
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Engine timing marks...
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 09:35:49 PM »
Sound like a good plan. It is nice to have the timing marks up front where they are easier to see.
Bob W

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: Engine timing marks...
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 09:43:07 PM »
I just thought that I would have a better idea of how far I was advancing the timing and I could also see how the mechanical advance was or wasn't working....

I use an external 12 volt power source for my timing light and it works just fine on the 6v system..

But, we will see....
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: Engine timing marks...
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 04:19:50 PM »
Quote
The M-38 crank pulley was a different diameter than the Civilian Jeep so those pointers are kinda far away.

Bob is absolutely right of course....but without his input I would have thought that was just the way it was supposed to be...

So I fixed it..



A strip of 18ga steel..



Some silver braze...

« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 04:21:53 PM by 1955CJ-5 »
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: Engine timing marks...
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 04:21:08 PM »
Double checked with the flywheel marks and good to go...

1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Engine timing marks...
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 06:25:36 PM »
Hi Randy,
Can I ask a favor?  Could you measure the distance between the two indicator arrows on your pointer? 

Tim
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: Engine timing marks...
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 07:05:30 PM »
I can do that...it might be tomorrow though...
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Engine timing marks...
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 08:03:23 PM »
That's great.  Thank you. 

Tim
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: Engine timing marks...
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2014, 07:00:34 PM »
Hi Tim,

The timing marks that are stamped into the steel bracket are 3/8" apart. The pointers are a little less than that.....it proved incredibly difficult to hold the flashlight, the tape measure, and then be able to see accurately....I had to look at it from underneath, the fan shroud blocks the view from the top....I hope that's enough info.......
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline Gunslinger

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 942
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Cj3a, M38A1,
    • View Profile
Re: Engine timing marks...
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2014, 07:47:58 PM »
I did the same thing, got the indicator at Midwest Military, it was pretty cheap and it does a nice job.  However I did not have to modify mine, it just bolted into place and is within about 1/4 inch of the pulley.  I'll get a pic out Sunday.
Gun
Climbs trees, hides in the long grass, hangs out with wet dogs...