The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Brake drums  (Read 2430 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline PaulS

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 271
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Brake drums
« on: September 28, 2013, 05:15:00 PM »
I bought the brake overhaul kit from Walcks.  The drums that were in it don't fit properly.

It is my understanding that there are two ways drums can be installed:  inboard or outboard of the hub.

My Jeep had the drums outboard of the hub.  The studs were pressed into the hub, and the drums just slid over, being held in place by the wheels.  (In reality, the brakes make it so the drum doesn't just fall off when a wheel is removed.)

The other type, I believe, has the studs pressed into the drum, and come through the hub .  I think this is the drum I got from Walcks.  It's just over 0.6" thinner than the drums I had.  And on the fronts, it simply won't go over the hub, as the hole diameter is too small.

So, now what to do?  I could return the drums to Walcks, or I could use them.  I think I would have to press the hubs and drums together, as the hole in the drum is a few thou smaller than the raised area on the back side of the hub.  does that sound right?  The studs would be pressed into the drum instead of the hub.  I'd have to get new studs--hopefully Walcks can supply studs that are a but longer than the ones I've got, as the flange in these drums is substantially thicker than the one in my old drums.

Am I missing something?  Should I use them as I described, or should I just return the drums and ask for the other kind instead?  They seem to list both on their site, but the overhaul kit didn't say which kind it came with.

Thanks,

-Paul

Offline Quebec Jeep

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1193
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • CJ-3A 1950
    • View Profile
Re: Brake drums
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 11:37:42 AM »
Ha!Ha!

You are now living the opposite of what I leave earlier! Do you remember?

http://www.cj3apage.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1373894851/15

For your information, I put those outboard drum and I used new stud coming from Walck's. There were exactly the same length as my old stud when the drum was inboard.

Does it help?
I'm jeepcoholic!

Offline Carls_jeep

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1746
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • ...
    • View Profile
Re: Brake drums
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 01:41:05 PM »
I would call Walcks and explain the problem and ask them what to do. They are, after all the supplier and are better equipped to answer your question. There is a difference between the drums that mount inside or outside of the hub so call them for what to do.

Offline PaulS

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 271
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Brake drums
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 07:46:35 PM »
I've been offline for a while...  I just sent a note off to Walcks with my problem.  Hopefully, they respond soon.  The easiest solution is if they tell me I can just press these drums onto the inboard side of my hubs, but we'll see.

I do remember your problem, Pascal.  Before I even wrote my post, I searched for that one, only to find that your issue was the reverse of mine...

Thanks,

-Paul

Offline Gunslinger

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 942
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Cj3a, M38A1,
    • View Profile
Re: Brake drums
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 10:56:29 AM »
I had the same problem, I ended up putting the hub inside the drum.   Works fine.
Climbs trees, hides in the long grass, hangs out with wet dogs...