The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: crusing speed  (Read 5276 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline gmcjr

  • Flatfender Enthusiast
  • ***
  • Posts: 168
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Even a blind hog finds a acorn every now and then.
    • View Profile
crusing speed
« on: December 22, 2012, 07:07:13 PM »
Just to get other peoples opinon, I been reading old post on the 2a page about driving long distance, but the ones i found are with jeeps that use a overdrive. I've drove my Jeep 50 miles before at speeds at 40 to 45 MPH, without an overdrive. I've often thought of going on longer trips with a little trailer. What's the farthest and how fast (sustained cruising speed)  has anybody else done?
Gary in N. Texas
51 CJ-3A (old Trusty)
52 Ford 8n (ugly duckling)
46Farmall B (old Rusty)
18 Wrangler Jk

Offline Carls_jeep

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1746
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • ...
    • View Profile
Re: crusing speed
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 12:23:29 AM »
I've done about the same distance and speed as you and that was long enough and fast enough for me. I have driven the M38 on training trips of about 175 miles but that was when I was younger.

Offline F Bill

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1402
  • Karma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: crusing speed
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 09:13:34 AM »
I regularly drove my GPW 20 miles one way over winding 3 lane back roads in NY in the summer. One Fourth of July I drove it to the fireworks at the capital, a 35 mile trip. 50-60 mph indicated. Two things made the trip one I wouldn't want to repeat daily. One, by the time I got home in the chilly evening, my rear end was almost numb. WWII cushions left a lot to be desired.  Second, at that speed , the brakes were not very quick to slow down the jeep when someone pulled out in front of me. The jeep had all new shoes, new wheel cylinders, lines, hoses, and master a few months before.

A 3a will have far superior seats, and if you tuned up the brake adjustments to factory specs and you had the high friction pads, you might have better brakes for highway use. (There are brake rebuilders who will custom install new high friction linings, instead of relying on cheap omix-ada  or Crown reman shoes.)

The other thing I would do before using a jeep for any highway running is instal turn signals with bright bulbs. Everyong thought I was waving at them using hand signals.

Owner of the world famous?? Pintojeep 3A and one yet to be named stock project 3A.
Based in central TX and upstate NY.

Offline Carls_jeep

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1746
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • ...
    • View Profile
Re: crusing speed
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 10:36:16 AM »
F Bill said, "Everyone thought I was waving at them using hand signals."  ;D ROFLMAO, I have the same problem, I always wave to everyone I see when driving my Jeep just to be friendly. When I signal to make a turn few people know what the arm signal is so I have to be very careful because some have sped past on the side I intended to turn toward. I too am considering a turn signal system.

Offline gmcjr

  • Flatfender Enthusiast
  • ***
  • Posts: 168
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Even a blind hog finds a acorn every now and then.
    • View Profile
Re: crusing speed
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 08:22:21 PM »
Turn signals also prevent certain hand signals too! ;D To me they are worth the money. FBill, I understand, there have been a couple of occasions when me and the wife took off for a ride without the top on and it become real chilly when the sun went down, she wasn't too happy. I was always curious, if anybody held a regular sustained speed of greater than 45 without a overdrive. I've had mine pegged at 60 one time in a emergency, I don't know if I want to do that again ;)
Gary in N. Texas
51 CJ-3A (old Trusty)
52 Ford 8n (ugly duckling)
46Farmall B (old Rusty)
18 Wrangler Jk

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: crusing speed
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 09:58:54 PM »
I've driven my '53 on several 200 mile round trips. Both with and without an OD. I can get it up to 55 with the OD. I decided I'm not going to do that anymore. My legs get too cramped up especially with my blood disorder. Now I use it for local shows and for parades.
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline Gunslinger

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 942
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Cj3a, M38A1,
    • View Profile
Re: crusing speed
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 07:15:24 AM »
Hi guys,
Last summer several of us took our jeeps on a 100 mile trip around western Wisconsin, we drove a ways and had lunch, did some stopping and looking around in the small towns, but we did have one segment where we drove about 55-60 miles non stop.  I'd echo some of the other sentiments, "just because you can doesn't mean you should"!!  I loved the drive and have no fear of doing it again, but man its not like jumping into the 2012 Silverado!!!
Climbs trees, hides in the long grass, hangs out with wet dogs...

Offline Jesse

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 298
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: crusing speed
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 02:42:03 PM »
The farthest I have gone in one trip would probably be 150 miles or so. Mostly dirt roads so not real fast, maybe 35 or so. Would still like an overdrive for all the hills. That way I could go 2nd and a half and so on. Plus it would be better for trail driving.

-Jesse
Its a jeep thing, but you would understand if you have ever lost your wallet.

Offline Gunslinger

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 942
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Cj3a, M38A1,
    • View Profile
Re: crusing speed
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 09:17:36 PM »
I'm interested in an OD as well, in hot temps, 90 and above, mine starts to warm up a little, an OD would keep,that from happening I think.
Climbs trees, hides in the long grass, hangs out with wet dogs...

Offline Comanche_County

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 252
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: crusing speed
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 02:34:24 AM »
Turn signals are for wimps and commies.   ;D
Georgia President of the International Flat Fender Club

Offline Gunslinger

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 942
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Cj3a, M38A1,
    • View Profile
Re: crusing speed
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 09:33:47 AM »
Looks like a new peanut joined the gallery, Welcome back CC.
Sorry for the hijack.
Climbs trees, hides in the long grass, hangs out with wet dogs...

Offline duffer

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 54
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Just old
    • View Profile
Re: crusing speed
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2012, 10:08:14 AM »
I have not put any notable long miles on an L head, but I did make several 750 mile trips in a stock 3B-40 years back.  Granted, 15 more ponies.  50 to 55 without OD, 55-60 with OD.  However, probably not up to doing that again now that I have joined the elderly club-along with the Jeeps.  
48 2A, 49 3A, 51 Wagon, 55 3B, 57 FC 150, 57 Wagon, 60 FC 170, 68 CJ 5, 2012 JKUR

John, Bozeman, MT

Offline Gunslinger

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 942
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Cj3a, M38A1,
    • View Profile
Re: crusing speed
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 07:14:44 PM »
Had mine out today, minus 5 degrees when we left the house, drove about twenty miles just to usher in the new year, drove about 45/50 the whole time, but indeed, it likes 40 a lot more than it likes 50.  And yes it was cold, even with the heater on full.  Didn't overheat though!
Climbs trees, hides in the long grass, hangs out with wet dogs...