The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Here's what a 5000 lb winch can do.  (Read 2737 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Carls_jeep

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1746
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • ...
    • View Profile
Here's what a 5000 lb winch can do.
« on: September 28, 2012, 01:10:19 AM »
PLEASE CLICK ON THE PHOTO TO VIEW THE VIDEO.

If you have any doubt that a 5000 lb winch from Harbor Freight can do the job watch these videos. I forgot my camera does video and I wanted one of me climbing the hill. The first is me backing down a very steep rocky dugway to get a video of me climbing up it. I ran into a rock and dirt wall and caused the driver side rear tire to go flat and was wedged against the wall. I couldn't go up or down.



In this video we rig the winch to pull me out. Since the left rear wheel will not pull the winch is pulling me out. After the winch pulled me about 8 ft up the hill away from the wall and onto some good rocks the Jeep pulled it's self up the hill with the tire flat. I was amazed that the Jeep would pull up the steep grade with a flat tire. The tire was not damaged as best we could tell but I think the tube is shot. I took the tire to a tire shop to have it fixed. I am a firm believer in my 5000 lb winch. It has twice pulled me out of a steep sandy bank by it's self besides this dugway. That's three hard pulls with the winch doing the pulling for at least the length of the Jeep each time. None of these were easy pulls but once the winch got the Jeep moving it lightened up on the load. What surprised me was the Jeep driving about 50 ft up the rough dugway and around the turn on a flat tire.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 10:07:29 AM by Carlsjeep »

Offline calvinhunt

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1000
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Let's keep these great American icons alive!
    • View Profile
Re: Here's what a 5000 lb winch can do.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 10:45:20 AM »
Here are a few pics from my camera showing parts of the rest of the enjoyable trail ride. �

(NOTE: If you didn't view the videos in the preceding post I suggest that you go back and click on each photo to do so.)


It was really good to have Mac (Macgraham), his wife, Robyn, and his white CJ-3A with us on the trail.




I missed whatever it was Robyn was taking a picture of.




Mac and Robyn.




Just a good trail to drive a 60+ year old Jeep on.




Carl and Betty are smilin' but not for long (per video).  He successfully drove through this rough spot while climbing up through it, but got in trouble while backing back down to get a video. We learned it's easier to get through a rough area driving forward.




Running out the winch cable.




Carl got up to the level (somewhat) so we could change the tire.




Successfully back out of the canyon. �The conclusion of another great trail ride.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 10:50:03 AM by calvinhunt »
Calvin
Santa Clara, Utah

Offline dodjh

  • Flatfender Enthusiast
  • ***
  • Posts: 127
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Remember our heritage....it came at a high price!
    • View Profile
Re: Here's what a 5000 lb winch can do.
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 09:38:16 PM »
Carl...what length and width are the straps that were used? I need some and also were did you buy them?

Great pictures and video, just as if I were there also.

dodjh

Offline Carls_jeep

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1746
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • ...
    • View Profile
Re: Here's what a 5000 lb winch can do.
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 10:55:15 PM »
I think I have two 30 ft x 2" straps and one 20 ft x 2" strap with a hook on each end. I think they are rated at 10,000 lb. I'm going to get a 10 ft x 2" to wrap around what I plan to pull from. I'm also going to make a post anchor to use when I don't have a close tree or bush to pull from. I have been thinking about buying some Amsteel rope but I am told it will abrade easy on sharp rocks and the straps don't do that.

I had my doubts about what a 5000 lb winch can do but I am convinced it's all you need even if your pulling the Jeep straight up into a tree. It would have to be buried deep in quick sand to not pull it out and even then with the right methods you can pull it out.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 10:59:33 PM by Carlsjeep »

Offline Carls_jeep

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1746
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • ...
    • View Profile
Re: Here's what a 5000 lb winch can do.
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 10:13:40 AM »
I forgot to add that I bought the strap with the hooks on the ends at Tractor Supply and the other two at Harbor Freight.

Offline F Bill

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1402
  • Karma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Here's what a 5000 lb winch can do.
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 08:28:29 PM »
Sounds like you could use a nice heavy rope with eye splices in the ends to use as a tree protector/anchor.... I have a 3/4 inch manilla rope 20 feet long with eyes we used to pull a Silverado crew cab out of the snow the other night.....Hooked both eyes to one truck and looped the middle of the rope around my brush guard and pulled her right out.  Make one out of Nylon and you won't be able to break it. I was half expecting the manilla to break but it didn't phase it at all.  I think  5/8 nylon rope  has a breaking strength of 10,500 lbs acccording to the sign at the place I bought it. And an eye splice is pretty simple to make, and won't hurt half as bad as a flying hook, if it breaks.
There are lots of youtube how to's on making an eye splice, the best how to I found was on a site for Sampson rope.

And of course there is the coolness factor of having a jeep bumper rope like the military guys...lol.
Owner of the world famous?? Pintojeep 3A and one yet to be named stock project 3A.
Based in central TX and upstate NY.

Offline Carls_jeep

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1746
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • ...
    • View Profile
Re: Here's what a 5000 lb winch can do.
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 09:20:18 AM »
I am considering using a rope for a wrap around as you described. I am trying to decide whether to use Amsteel, Manila or Nylon to make it out of. I think I have some 1" Manila but have to buy other two but I have until next summer to decide. Since I'm not in a hurry something good may come along.