The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Steering Lubrication  (Read 1159 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline F Bill

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1402
  • Karma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Steering Lubrication
« on: July 20, 2012, 06:29:54 PM »
Gunslinger's post from the old forum

 Gents,
I've got a bad squeak and some friction in my steering when I turn Right.  It sounds like its coming from the top of the steering column right below the wheel,  Any good ideas how to lube it?  If I remember right there is a bearing at the top of the column, but I don't remember if I replaced it
Owner of the world famous?? Pintojeep 3A and one yet to be named stock project 3A.
Based in central TX and upstate NY.

Offline calvinhunt

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1000
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Let's keep these great American icons alive!
    • View Profile
Re: Steering Lubrication
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 01:04:29 AM »
Hey Gun,
  When I rebuilt my Jeep a few years ago I installed a new repro upper steering column bearing.  I didn't like the way it felt.  Didn't squeak, but it did rattle and was loose/sloppy.  I removed the steering wheel.  I removed the NEW repro bearing.  I dug out my old original bearing, cleaned it up and lubed it well.  After installing it I was a lot happier.  If you installed one of the worthless repro bearings you may want to do the same.
Calvin
Santa Clara, Utah