The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: '51 3A - revisited  (Read 70854 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: '51 3A - revisited
« Reply #105 on: February 13, 2016, 08:21:32 PM »
I'd maybe just put the prop from an outboard motor on it....give those tailgaters something to think about..!
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: '51 3A - revisited
« Reply #106 on: February 13, 2016, 08:24:46 PM »
I wouldn't worry about the the wobble. It isn't too bad.
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: '51 3A - revisited
« Reply #107 on: February 14, 2016, 08:47:51 PM »
Feeling good about my first ever successful carb rebuild on the red 3A, I tore open the gray 3A's carb and cleaned and adjusted that one while I was at it. I've owned this accelerator pump gauge for over a year and it wasn't until a few hours ago Scout actually taught me which end was up and how to use the thing. Neat gadget but a machinist rule will do the job just as well.


Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: '51 3A - revisited
« Reply #108 on: February 14, 2016, 09:37:45 PM »
Is that your thumb??� I'm 61 and my thumb doesn't look that rough...

Years ago I was cleaning a distributor in carb cleaner...hey this stuff isn't so bad..no gloves, a wire brush and the distributor body came out great...

trouble was the next day my hands looked like they belonged on something that had been dead for a couple weeks...

I recovered but now try to use gloves....

Try these...

http://www.amazon.com/SAS-Safety-66518-Powder-Free-Disposable/dp/B002XXO60M

It is a neat gadget...one of those things that you need once or twice....
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 09:47:35 PM by 1955CJ-5 »
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: '51 3A - revisited
« Reply #109 on: February 14, 2016, 10:16:39 PM »
Quote
Is that your thumb??  I'm 61 and my thumb doesn't look that rough...
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Isn't it about time for you to drag home another Jeep to work on?
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: '51 3A - revisited
« Reply #110 on: February 14, 2016, 10:31:13 PM »
And quit bugging you?

Yah maybe you betcha eh? :o
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: '51 3A - revisited
« Reply #111 on: February 15, 2016, 07:34:16 AM »
Quote
And quit bugging you?

Yah maybe you betcha eh? :o


It's all good.� ;D� I do wear gloves on occasion. They usually end up a tattered mess by the time I'm done whatever it is I'm working on and my hands just as contaminated.  It's -14 degrees here right now too. Arctic temps and dry air aren't exactly nature's hand moisturizer either.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 07:35:32 AM by Ryan_M »
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: '51 3A - revisited
« Reply #112 on: February 21, 2016, 02:42:53 PM »
I had planned to pull the starter out this winter for a "preventative maintenace" rebuild but it began acting up last week so I went ahead and yanked it out of there.

Off to Reggie, my go-to old-school starter whiz, for an overhaul. He completely disassembled it, re soldered everything, replaced what needed to be replaced, and dressed the banged up gear teeth.

For those who don't already, make sure you have an adequate spring installed to pull the starter lever back and everything out of the way of the ring gear. I wish I had taken a "before" pic - the teeth were pretty chewed up. I have had a return spring installed since I overhauled the Jeep a few years back but there was nothing on there when I originally brought it home.

It all looks good now and it is repainted and back in the Jeep. It also sounds noticeably stronger now when starting. Reggie magic.





« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 02:45:50 PM by Ryan_M »
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: '51 3A - revisited
« Reply #113 on: May 30, 2016, 11:33:38 AM »
Well here's a less-than-ideal start to the summer motoring season. It's Memorial Day and the PTO, transmission, and transfer case are laying on the garage floor. The box of shrapnel that up until last week was my overdrive is 3300 miles away undergoing an autopsy. I will withhold further comments on that until the full cause of death is understood.

Meanwhile, transfer case appears undamaged but is loaded with bits of the OD. It will need to be completely disassembled and cleaned. Fresh overhaul kit is sitting on the work bench. Might as well freshen up the transmission too while it's sitting right there.

At least it's raining here so I don't feel quite as bad about confining myself to the garage for the day.

Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: '51 3A - revisited
« Reply #114 on: May 30, 2016, 09:19:58 PM »
Oh boy....

Any warning indications that the OD was going bad, or did it just go Kablamo?

That far away can only mean Herm.....unless you sent it to Iceland.....
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 09:41:27 PM by 1955CJ-5 »
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: '51 3A - revisited
« Reply #115 on: May 31, 2016, 10:59:58 AM »
Well that's a freakin bummer.  And just when you all had me convinced that I need an OD. :-/

Tim
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline RICKG

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 265
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • I never met a mule i didn't like.
    • View Profile
Re: '51 3A - revisited
« Reply #116 on: May 31, 2016, 04:54:01 PM »
Ouch Ryan!! I love my OD but I hear too many of these stories..every time I use it I fear its gonna grenade, ya know like "ka-blooie".
OD MULE MC51986

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: '51 3A - revisited
« Reply #117 on: May 31, 2016, 08:33:58 PM »
Here's the aftermath. 

Warning: Graphic images may not be suitable for all audiences. Viewer discretion is advised.





Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: '51 3A - revisited
« Reply #118 on: May 31, 2016, 10:59:45 PM »
Wow...I've got two of those...one in the CJ-5 and one in the CJ-3a...guess my chances of failure are doubled.....but I only drive them one at a time.....
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline Ryan_289

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 66
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: '51 3A - revisited
« Reply #119 on: June 02, 2016, 09:24:13 AM »
Any idea of what happened?  I ordered a rebuilt unit from Herm a while back.  Still waiting on him to get some more parts in and get one done.