The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: New to the board, new to my CJ-3A  (Read 5496 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Redwood

  • Posts: 4
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Willys Newbie
    • View Profile
New to the board, new to my CJ-3A
« on: March 28, 2013, 05:38:54 PM »
Hey everyone, I've been reading off and on for a little while. �I recently drove back to the family farm, put my grandpa's '52 CJ-3A on the trailer and hauled it back home. �The story is that back in '69 the engine seized, so they parked it. �We've had it on blocks since the 80s.

Anyways, the process begins. �I'm not looking for a full restoration, just giving the driveline a refresh and taking care of issues where they may be. �Any tips or suggestions will be much appreciated!

Family Owned '52 CJ-3A

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: New to the board, new to my CJ-3A
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 07:47:43 PM »
Welcome aboard! We will be able to answer all your questions, if you're not sure, just ask!

Looks like a very solid jeep to begin with. Please post a thread in the "You're stock jeep project" when you start tearing into it!  :)
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline johnrb3b

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 906
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • No such thing as too many Jeeps - well maybe
    • View Profile
    • Jeeps and stuff
Re: New to the board, new to my CJ-3A
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 08:09:02 AM »
Hi Craig,
Welcome,
That's a really nice looking Jeep. Looks like all you need to do is get the engine turning over and you can start having fun with it. I love the "mud flaps" on the front fenders.  ;)

Do you know what hard top is on it?

And is that your shop? Or is it the machine shed on the farm?
Looks like a pretty sizable mill next to the Jeep and a big welder on wheels behind it. Nice place to work - if it's yours.

Looking forward to more pictures.

1946 2A - - - 1949 me - older than most of my Jeeps
1954 3B - - - 1957 Wagon - - - 2010 4-door JK
past Jeeps ---> '54 3B - no tub --- '59 3B - no engine
past addiction - VW ---> '69 bus --- '70 camper

Offline Redwood

  • Posts: 4
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Willys Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: New to the board, new to my CJ-3A
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 10:45:22 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I'm lucky enough to have access to a warehouse with a lift for working on my rides and storing them. I wish it was mine! I'm finding more things I want to refresh as I dig in, especially the wiring. There will be plenty more pics to come!

Craig
Family Owned '52 CJ-3A

Offline Redwood

  • Posts: 4
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Willys Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: New to the board, new to my CJ-3A
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 10:48:06 PM »
And the top is made by Koenig Iron Works. Its in pretty decent shape besides some cracked windows. Easy enough to replace, hopefully.
Family Owned '52 CJ-3A

Offline Kenny_Kustom

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 72
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Too cold outside to play....
    • View Profile
Re: New to the board, new to my CJ-3A
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 11:02:49 PM »
Nice !! I would love to find a complete pto winch setup.

Offline James P

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 78
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: New to the board, new to my CJ-3A
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 01:20:10 PM »
I might have replacement windows for you just let me see the set up on the inside. :)
1952 CJ3A

Offline Quebec Jeep

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1193
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • CJ-3A 1950
    • View Profile
Re: New to the board, new to my CJ-3A
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 08:18:02 AM »
Welcome!
I'm jeepcoholic!

Offline Redwood

  • Posts: 4
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Willys Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: New to the board, new to my CJ-3A
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 12:49:25 PM »
Quote
I might have replacement windows for you just let me see the set up on the inside. :)

Here's the interior, I took this right before I removed the cab.

Family Owned '52 CJ-3A

Offline James P

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 78
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: New to the board, new to my CJ-3A
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 02:59:12 PM »
Here is the listing I had for the whole cab but if these windows will work send me a pm.
http://cj3apage.com/forum-yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1336747148
1952 CJ3A

Offline mullen46cj2a

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 7
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: New to the board, new to my CJ-3A
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 05:39:25 PM »
This is the second or third Willys I have seen with the wood strips on the hood.  What was the purpose of these? Haul deer on the hood?

Offline James P

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 78
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: New to the board, new to my CJ-3A
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 05:41:21 PM »
My guess is to strengthen the hood and get rid of warp.  :-/
1952 CJ3A