All good questions, SP.
As to the air gap in the bowl, when it's running, I only get a 1/4 or 1/3 inch gas level at the bottom. Maybe I was "mis-seeing" the old pump - it looked like the gas was at the top of the bowl, but you're right, it probably wasn't.
I know that the gas in the pump evaporates when the Jeep sits a long time. In the old days, I would place my mouth on the filler outlet and blow into the tank, which forced fuel into the bowl (too old for that now). That's why I'm considering an electric pump to "charge" the fuel pump. I didn't know about the manual primer handle until long after I installed the second fuel pump. Can't afford to go down that road again, so I'm considering the electric one as a "booster."
The Carter, literally, fell apart. In my ignorance I trashed it and bought a new Solex. Stupidly knows no bounds...It was an idiotic decision. The Solex was purchased well before I had the fuel pump issues, so no, I didn't replace the carb because of the fuel pump. The Solex was rebuilt about two running hours ago.
The engine was tuned up (plugs, points, etc.) before the fuel pump issues. It was running fine.
Thanks, SP.
Just as an FYI: Here's the link to my original fuel problems a year ago.
https://cj3apage.com/Forum/index.php?topic=4833.msg38014#msg38014A brand new fuel pump caused this former problem. Bad internal parts allowed it to pump gas straight into the crankcase.