The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Engine I'd  (Read 1598 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Linda

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 49
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Engine I'd
« on: March 18, 2016, 05:41:35 PM »
Hi, Iam ordering a clutch assemble. I have a overhead 4. In it.the carb. Intake is on the head on the pass side and exhaust is on the driver side.the ID # is on the pass side?the # is 807895 , can any one� tell me what year that engine is. The book calls for 8.5 in. Clutch,but it has a9.25 in. In it . my fat fender is a 1951 cj3a with a newer engine. Thanks for any help. PS.  On the driver side in the lower rear is # 16 & in the front where the head meets the block it says f w  an a possible 2 or a 3 # is fant.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 09:26:30 PM by Gramps1 »

Offline Mark W.

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 68
  • Karma: +1/-0
  • Chug A Lug
    • View Profile
Re: Engine I'd
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 07:35:40 PM »
The 9.25" clutch was a post 1961 option on CJ5 and CJ6 jeeps with the 134F head like you have, In all the cases I have seen the flywheels were just additionally drilled for the larger clutch. Allowing you to use either. Of course you would need the whole shebang Disc and Pressure Plate and of course you should do the Pilot bearing (in the back of the crank) and Throw out bearing at the same time. As well as having a machine shop dress up the flywheel if you want the longest life out of the new clutch.

By the way I am upgrading to the larger clutch. Luckily I already had the later bellhousing and was able to find a flywheel reasonable.
Chug A Lug

1948 CJ2A Tub and Title
1949 CJ3A Windshield
1957 CJ5 Frame and Springs
134L 9.25" T-90 30%OD D18 D25 and D44 30 spline
11" Brakes, Saginaw Steering, 12V electrical
DIY Aluminum Hard top

Offline Linda

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 49
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Engine I'd
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 08:16:12 PM »
Hi, My cj3a came with these changes, along with a 12 volt system. I thought it was a 56 because of the clutch size but didn't  want to order the Wong thing. Thanks for your help. al